Rough idle... coughing... then dying (video). '69 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin

cgorney

Cadet
I rebuilt this motor... I didn't rebuild the carb though...

In this video, I'm not touching the throttle. It runs rough and never levels out at an idle speed. Then dies on its own. Help. Is this a carb problem?

YouTube

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rough idle... coughing... then dying (video). '69 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin

The 64 was the first year for this design.---There were issues with shaking at idle.-----A kit was developed to limit the shaking.--Does your have a kit installed ?----Looks like a bracket from the cowling to carburetor .

cgorney

Cadet

Yeah...it has the vibration dampener brackets.

cgorney

Cadet

I had to turn the video public on YouTube. Sorry if anyone looked at it and it was Private.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Classic lean sneeze.----Did you remove the high speed jet that screws into the carburetor bowl in order to clean it ?----Is the throttle opening at the right time ?----If it opens too soon it will run like that.

cgorney

Cadet

I didn't take out the hs jet. I didn't have a slender enough flat head screw driver to reach it. I cleaned it with spray. And disassembled everything else. I didn't pull the plugs out though. I'll run it tomorrow to see if it helped.

Last edited:

cgorney

Cadet

UPDATE.... I have a dead fuel pump. So the motor runs long enough to drain the bowl then dies. It never reached idle temp for the throttle to level out. I manually supplied fuel through the primer bulb to get it to run long enough to warm up and it ran pretty well. So now on to getting a new fuel pump... not a cheap part. Luckily that should be the last thing I need to get her running true. Thanks for the assist!

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Repair kit is much cheaper.

cgorney

Cadet

Repair kit is much cheaper.

No repair kit available at the dealer or online... apparently. Do you have a source? I took it apart and nothing is obviously damaged... the diaphragms are a bit stretched, though.

Humperdink

Cadet

do you have the square fuel pump?

Edit: Stupid question. yes you do that pump is used by a wide variety of engines. its a little over 20$ to rebuild it. just order a rebuild kit for a 9.9/15 horse engine--same pump. ( i have 2 omc 6 horses, a 9.5, and a 15, all use the same pump). Its a tricky job though, and use the guide on leeroys ramblings to show you how to orient the gaskets. also, the kit may have an extra gasket that didnt come out of the old pump, dont be alarmed. the new kits have an added gasket.

If you do it yourself be really careful with the springs and plastic caps that go with them. they tend to go flying if you are not being careful. the tiny spring.......i hate that tiny spring.

Last edited:

cgorney

Cadet

If you do it yourself be really careful with the springs and plastic caps that go with them. they tend to go flying if you are not being careful. the tiny spring.......i hate that tiny spring.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this. UPDATE: I disassembled and rebuilt the fuel pump. How many springs are in it? They went a-flyin. I found the larger main diaphragm spring and cap. I found one smaller diaphragm spring and cap. I looks like it MIGHT have another small spring but if it existed it is MIA. I put it all back together and started the old girl up and she purred. It's running the way I rebuilt it. Apparently if there is another spring it wasn't required. I'll look at the Rambling page about it.... EDIT: I've gone through LeeRoy's article... would have been very helpful before I did it myself. I had all the right parts and reassembled it correctly. I don't know why it wasn't working before but it is now. Maybe a spring was misaligned or some gunk was in there (likely since there was no screen/filter on there before!)

Now that she's running I need to rebuild the lower again because she's puking oil out of the lower-exhaust housing junction. Probably the shaft seal below the water pump if I had to put money on it.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Repair kits are available !!!------You just need to be persistant when looking.------This pump was common for many , many years but some model years the repair kit is not listed !!

cgorney

Cadet

Repair kits are available !!!------You just need to be persistant when looking.------This pump was common for many , many years but some model years the repair kit is not listed !!

You are correct!! I wish I had looked a little further into LeeRoy's website. The Evinrude part number 393088 is a kit that works on many more years than those listed in the description. My pump is working but given the state of the diaphragm, I'd say not at the optimal efficiency. I'll get this kit down the road... now on to my gear case oil leak.

Humperdink

Cadet

It is likely your small spring became unseated. The term i use for a twisted spring like that is a "squirrelled" spring. squirrelled springs have set back many a boater. The other possibility is that the mounting bolts vibrated out and you didnt have a vacuum to power the pump. the other seat for the small spring is used if the inlet and outlet are in a different orientation needed for a different motor. they did this so one fuel pump could be applied to a wide variety of models.

cgorney

Cadet

@racerone ... The manual says to put an O ring on the shaft when you put the gear case on the exhaust housing. This o ring isn't present on mine. What's the purpose?

Also says there is a washer under the seal that is on top of the water pump. It's not on mine.

Edit.... I talked to the repair shop... they said the washer that is under the shaft seal on top of the water pump isn't required and they never knew why it was even on there. I can't find that oring at the top of the crankshaft... but the shop said if I'm getting resistance when I insert the shaft into the bottom of the head then the oring is probably up in there.

Last edited: