johnson seahorse 50hp throttle lever

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys,

im new to boating and am having problems installing control cables. When the cables are connected upto the control box and the motor it jams once the throttle should start to accelerate. The control box works fine with no cables connected and with the cables not connected at the motor and the cables are brand new so i dont think the problem is either control box or cables.

I tried attaching the cables to the motor and pushing it through by hand but it still wont move the throttle lever hence i think thats the problem. I can move the lever by hand but it does seem alittle hard.

Is there away i can make it easier to move the lever?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson seahorse 50hp throttle lever

Is this a 1958 model ?

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice

Im not sure of the model, it doesnt have the normal plate on the mount but heres a picture.

today i layed the cables in a straight line and tried pushing them through and it more the trottle but it still took a alot of force to get it to move. So it think the the way ive run them is adding to the problem as well.

Attachments

• johnson 50hp.jpg
    johnson 50hp.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Next question.

Which throttle control box are you using? Is the warmup lever on the top or on the side?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

just an idea for you. if the motor is in neutral or reverse it should not open full throttle. only when the motor is in forward gear can you slide the throttle all the way.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

If the cables are free from the engine then the throttle should move easily in either direction. If they move freely then the problem is somewhere inside the engine, or the control box once it is connected. Is the throttle warmup lever all the way in the down/run position?
Also remember while shifting the motor while it is not running have someone turn the prop so that it will shift properly and not break the control box.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Next question.

Which throttle control box are you using? Is the warmup lever on the top or on the side?

Again which box are you using? It does make a difference.

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice

Its the control with the warm up lever on the side and yes it is all the way down.

Attachments

• johnson controls.jpg
    johnson controls.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice

also if the throttle lever is pushed forward and let go it doesnt go all the way back against the stop screw, is this normal?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

burnsie88 I just got back from a 4 hr trip to the doctor.
I do have the factory manual for this unit so give me a little time to recover from the trip and I will see what I can come come up with for you!

You say that with the cables connected to the control but not to the engine everything seems to work smooth? Both cables move back and forth.

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks bonz d that would be great!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Haven't forgotten about you. Just had a 5 hr sleep and boy did I need it. Everything is still a bit foggy so bear with me.

There are basically 3 types of controls used. The old style 2 lever which were very simple. The 1st generation single lever which you have and the 3rd generation single lever which I have and also use. Second gen is a pain to work on though they are pretty reliable..

I actually have one like yours sitting here on the bench that I was going to rebuild and use.

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice

Hi it seams like I can move the lever the same distance no matter what gear it is in, that's just with my hand no cable.

Also the picture is the position the lever goes back to after been push fully forward and let go.

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice

sorry photo would load from iphone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

With no cables attached to the unit the throttle lever should stay in the full forward position and not return to the nuetral position.

Now my curiosity has been really peaked!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

burnsie88 I just sent you a PM so please check that.

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice

the video should show whats going on. you can hear how much spring there is on it when I let go of the lever. I had a helper this morning and adjusted the gear shifter. Before I wasn't spinning the prop and now the lever works a lot smoother.

I rebuild the control box last week and relubed it.

unfortunately my home computer wont upload the video or anymore photos so ill do it tomorrow at work.

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice

im having troubles unloading the video but here are some picks of the control box.

Attachments

• inside control box2.jpg
    inside control box2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1
  • inside control box.jpg
    inside control box.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1

burnsie88

Seaman Apprentice

alright ive given up on the movie ill try to descripe it.

In the pictures below shows a lever which runs off the top of the throttle arm up to something that sits under the flywheel. When pushing the throttle arm with that lever on its extremely hard and when let go it springs back very quickly. If that lever is taken off the throttle arm moves very easily. What does that lever connect to? if the fly wheel is spinning ie motor running, will that affect it?

Also does anyone have a schmatic of the motor which shows what parts are actually called? might make it easy for people to understand what im saying if i can name the parts correctly haha

thanks for your time guys its really appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1
  • broken lever.JPG
    broken lever.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1
  • broken lever2.JPG
    broken lever2.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 1