76 40 hp evinrude help me please

anoanomous

Recruit
hello all i have a 76 evinrude 40 hp and i can not find much info on it. I have replaced the impeller rebuilt carb and replace fuel lines on it already. The problem is it overheats and i am unable to find the thermostat do you know where it is located?

I have searched countless hours to no avail i called 2 marine mechanics the first said do your head gasket and that the thermostat would not be bad unless was ran in salt. Second said to change the thermostat which i am unable to locate and the place where i order my parts couldn't even order one because he was unable to locate aswell.

I would greatly appreciate help was going to bring to shop but they cant touch till next week

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 76 40 hp evinrude help me please

I have a 1975 Johnson seahorse 40 & it has no T-stat, made that way from OMC, I have had a few tell me I'm mistaken and that it must have one. well mine does not have a ONE.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is no thermostat on a 1976 Johnson 40hp. Period.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Agreed ---There is no thermostat on a 76 model.----------Mechanics at various shops are not well versed on older motors !

anoanomous

Recruit

Okay thank you for the quick reply's do you any of you happen to have any idea why i am overheating then? Is it then in fact the head gasket? Or is there some other common problem on these moters?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

there could be many reasons for a overheat problem, I myself would drop the lower unit and kinda do a start over on the complete water flow rout through your motor, flush each section to see if something is amiss, recheck all installed parts to the pump,housing, impeller key, vane rotation, a low pressure water hose hooked to the water tube to check flow thru the power head etc. keep us posted.