Strange spark plug issue... 1969 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin

cgorney

Cadet
Somethings not right here...I rebuilt this motor. Set the timing by LeeRoy's Ramblings. I checked spark by grounding the threads on the head and pulling the rope. The bottom plug sparked but the top one didn't. I'm thinking uh oh need a new coil. But my buddy said maybe the stop switch is cross wired. Held the stop switch in...sure enough...the top plug fires and the bottom didn't. What the heck? There's no way to cross the wires on the stop switch. Anything? Maybe timing is off?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Strange spark plug issue... 1969 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin

you should first check the plugs with a spark plug tester and make sure they jump a good 7/16 or so gap, I think on the 9.5 they had plastic snap clips so you could cross the wires at least my 1970 does,

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The stop switch grounds out both point sets of points by design.------------So you need to remove the flywheel and do a thorough inspection of the ignition system.-----Post picture of the 2 coils.----Test spark to see if both leads will fire across a 1/4" gap on that magneto.

cgorney

Cadet

Cleaned the points... it fires now. But it acts wonky at idle for about 10 seconds then dies. Starting a new thread with the video...