76' 85HP Johnson 85EL76D Lower Unit Oil and Verna Therm ??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I would like to have a copy of the Service Manual Page/Pages showing/describing how to replace the water pump on this motor. I've researched and read about it ad infinitum and I'm 99.9% certain that I can accomplish the deed. I understand that I must engage the motor into reverse and then disengage the shift rod linkage and then remove all the lower unit bolts including the one under the trim tab. I just would like the visual certainty to KNOW that I'm doing it right. So If any one has the Service Manual and wouldn't mind copying the pages and sending me a PM so I can give them my contact info so they can Email the pages to me, I would be MOST appreciative. The cheapest Service Manual I can find is almost $45 bucks and I can't see paying that price for a couple of pages. This operation is the only one I think I will be attempting in the future and once I know how to do it I doubt I'll need the manual ever again. Maybe my wife is right, and I am just a C.O.B!!!!:eek:

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 76' 85HP Johnson 85EL76D Water Pump Replacement

Gear position does not matter !------Beside the lower carburetor on the starboard side you will find a bolt.-Use a 5/8" wrench and remove that bolt.--Now seperate those 2 arms to release the shift rod.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sooo that's all there is to it. Don't suppose you have a Pic of it???

dodgeman67

Seaman Apprentice

I have a copy of the OMC manual and it does not have pictures of the process. More likely to find pictures on this forum. I just replaced the impeller on my 75 85hp and the manual helped very little. Got all I needed on this forum. It is not a difficult job if you have an extra set of hands to reassemble. This thread has lots of pics:
http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...ohnson-water-pump-job-photos-lots-309188.html

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You may find the exploded factory parts diagrams for your engine helpful in your efforts. Checkout this website: epc.brp.com

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

Factory manual for your motor on e bay right now for $24.33 free shipping ya C.O.B!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

Manual is great to have...but, as stated, it won't help much with impeller replacement. It's a generic procedure with very little difference from one motor to another. You just need to find ALL the bolts to remove and line everything back up to re-install

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I got it off. Was not bad at all. Found the Shift rod disconnect. Gunna be a bit problematic going back on but, worst case scenario is I'll have to remove the Air Silencer and lower carb to gain access to the BellCrank assembly and put the pin back in the shift rod. I really appreciate the encouragement and advice guys. It gave me the "Push" I needed to dive in and "Git er Dun!!!!" Like you all said, the Manual prolly would not have been a big help! I'll try and take and post some pic's when I go back so it might help others in the future.

This motor had set for 11 years so the water pump housing has corroded quite a bit. I've tried emery cloth on her but she's still a bit rough. Should it take the chance on running her like this or bite the bullet and buy the "Plastic" replacement version for $35 bucks from EvilBay?? Thoughts??

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Not sure if you are using the emery cloth on the stainless steel liner inside the housing. If the gouges are that bad, I would not use that liner as is. The new impeller will loose useful life running inside that gouged liner. Bombardier sells that liner separately, under part number 321175. I'd replace at least the liner during overhaul of the pump. Some will suggest that you purchase the kit, which will include the housing and liner. Not a bad idea if you think the housing was ever overheated (heat distorted.) That pump kit is part number: 439140

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Don't lose the little nylon bushing that is in the top of the shift rod as it's NLA and critical to proper shifting.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure if you are using the emery cloth on the stainless steel liner inside the housing. If the gouges are that bad, I would not use that liner as is. The new impeller will loose useful life running inside that gouged liner. Bombardier sells that liner separately, under part number 321175. I'd replace at least the liner during overhaul of the pump. Some will suggest that you purchase the kit, which will include the housing and liner. Not a bad idea if you think the housing was ever overheated (heat distorted.) That pump kit is part number: 439140

No SS Liner in the OMC housing. Just one solid aluminum piece.
IMG_0418.jpg
I've noticed that the "KITS" show a plastic housing with a SS liner but that's not how mine is built. I found one on Evil Bay so I'm replacing the Housing.
ImpellerHousing.jpg
Thanks for everyone's input. I'll post pics on the
Re-Install.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, That housing I got was the WRONG one so, I finally located the Correct one and it's on it's way. $60 bucks!!! Soo, next question... What's the correct Lower Unit Oil for this motor?? Premium Type C?? And how hard is it to replace the Verna Therm on this thing?

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 76' 85HP Johnson 85EL76D Lower Unit Oil and Verna Therm ??

The Bombardier HPFPro is solid lower unit gear oil. The vernatherm is not difficult to do-it's right on the back of the engine's exhaust adapter. I'd be sure to examine it as you pull it off the engine. It's sort of like a sanwich-with layers. Be sure you note each layer for optimal re-assembly. The factory exploded parts list may be helpful here....Check the nylon parts (valves) to see if they are heat-deformed.

Coachjfk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 76' 85HP Johnson 85EL76D Lower Unit Oil and Verna Therm ??

For all the other C.O.B's out there: Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

You should be able to find your motor manual and get some good description of the procedure. Images are grainy but you can zoom in and get a pretty good idea of what they are talking about.

I would like to have a copy of the Service Manual Page/Pages showing/describing how to replace the water pump on this motor. I've researched and read about it ad infinitum and I'm 99.9% certain that I can accomplish the deed. I understand that I must engage the motor into reverse and then disengage the shift rod linkage and then remove all the lower unit bolts including the one under the trim tab. I just would like the visual certainty to KNOW that I'm doing it right. So If any one has the Service Manual and wouldn't mind copying the pages and sending me a PM so I can give them my contact info so they can Email the pages to me, I would be MOST appreciative. The cheapest Service Manual I can find is almost $45 bucks and I can't see paying that price for a couple of pages. This operation is the only one I think I will be attempting in the future and once I know how to do it I doubt I'll need the manual ever again. Maybe my wife is right, and I am just a C.O.B!!!!:eek: