1957 Lightwin 3hp- In storage 30+ years... My Plan

Coachjfk

Seaman Apprentice
A couple of years ago, I bought a 1957 3hp Lightwin for $35.00 from a guy on Craigslist. Had been in his family since new but hadn't been run in 30+ years. Pulls over well. I get 65 and 68 psi compression. Not really on stand, so I can't pull real hard. Coils are falling apart but rest of motor though "well used" appears in pretty good shape.

I plan on doing the following using guidance from this site, this restoration series on comparable 3hp Johnson found on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxpXvGEK4Ag&list=PLbqaYPHqDnWtc6-fa5pCrVr5_g5lF5Xgs and of course this site on tune up: 3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

While all of the parts appear to be there, here is my preliminary list of items that I am going to purchase:
1) 18-581 Ignition Coils 2ea.
2) 18-5006 Ignition Tune up kit 1ea
3) 18-3202 Water pump Kit
4) 18-7043 Carburetor Kit
5) 0396514 Float and Arm Assembly
6) 18-2945-9 Gasket 2 pk. Drain Screw Gasket (I'm assuming this is bad)
7) 0202893 Driveshaft O ring
8) 0301917 O-ring #21 on this diagram http://www.*****************/parts/...22&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Gear+Housing
9) 0203130 Head Gasket (Compression good. I just want to clean this up and start fresh)
10) 0315471 Prop Clutch Ring (Appears dry and hard. Not falling apart)
11) J6C Spark Plugs 2ea.

Many of the parts on this list Must be changed. Some I am changing as preventative measure (Gaskets, Prop Clutch ring etc...)

I feel very confident in how to do each of these. Is there anything else that I should be getting in advance based on the expert and experienced knowledge of the group.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Lightwin 3hp- In storage 30+ years... My Plan

You have a good start there!

I personally LOVE the motors that have been sitting for decades with cracked coils. They are my favourite to buy. You know that no one has messed with them, or run them lean on oil. They are usually the best runners. Keep us updated.

When these little guys are tuned, they can idle down like a swiss watch.

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That should do it, Take your time with the lower unit seals, coils and carb are pretty straight forward, if you have any questions ask them as you go.

I am just starting on my 59 cd-16 replacing all the seals and tuning it up, until last weekend had not been started in nearly 20 years, started on the third pull before I had done anything too it so looking forward to getting it on the water again.

Coachjfk

Seaman Apprentice

ddwilson and Hitrim, thanks for the words of encouragement. My goal is to go through this carefully and have a reliable motor for the next 57 years. I haven't yet worked on this motor, but it looks a bit simpler than my 1976 Johnson 115 hp. I did the carbs, fuel lines, changed the steering and the Water pump kit on that one, so I'm thinking I can handle this one.

That prop clutch ring and the seals inside the lower unit will be new to me, but I'm looking forward to it.

Can't wait to get this 57 year old motor on my 42 year old canoe and see what she can do.

That should do it, Take your time with the lower unit seals, coils and carb are pretty straight forward, if you have any questions ask them as you go.