Rebuilt carbs- new reed valves, new gaskets, etc. boat started hard, a little worried

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just put my carbs and reed valves back on my 72 Evinrude 50hp Lark, along with all new gaskets. Everything seems tight as a drum. Carbs are spotless and floats have be set.
After putting the assembly back together I tried firing her up and it simply would not start. I figured maybe I had flooded it or had a weak battery (though the batt seemed strong). I have it a few hours to settle and put the batt on the float. When I tried it again it still didn't seem to want to run. I ended up having to push to almost WOT and crank it repeatedly. The engine would fire once then die with a pop, and the starter would disengage.
After doing this for a while she finally fired up and is running great now, but it makes me anxious about the possibility of a repeat.
Is this normal for engines that have had the fuel drained or is there a potential problem? I've been out on boats that have starting problems on the water, and it makes for an unpleasant day.

Thanks

note: the carbs are from a newer model and have plugs instead of slow needles.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rebuilt carbs- new reed valves, new gaskets, etc. boat started hard, a little wor

A motor with clean carburetors will start right up.----Does not matter whether they have been empty for a week or 10 years.

iwombat

Captain
Re: Rebuilt carbs- new reed valves, new gaskets, etc. boat started hard, a little wor

Problem with the choke set-up? Take the air cover up and make sure the choke plates are closing all the way.

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Choke plates seem to be closing/opening properly. The floats have been adjusted to the middle point of the manual's range (from the bottom of the float to the flange: no lower than 1 5/8, no higher than 1 1/8''). The bulb pumps up hard as a rock- NO air in the vacuum circuit. Reeds are all flush with the valve body, so there shouldn't be an issue there. I guess I might have flooded it a bit when I first tried. Will take her for a spin tomorrow and see how goes.

Thanks

Last edited: