I just got 1958 Evinrude big twin 35 and I know nothing about it

Rustyjp

Recruit
I was given a 1955 evinrude fastwin 15 that's locked up and I instantly fell in love with it for some reason I started looking on Craigslist and was able to barter a 1958 Big Twin 35 with electric start long shaft and set up for controls my question is will the tiller off and fastwin fit on the big twin, how hard will it be to make it a short shaft and where can I find a wiring diagram I just want to get this thing running any help would be greatly appreciated

milkjub

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I just got 1958 Evinrude big twin 35 and I know nothing about it

Start by pulling off your lower unit. Then you can isolate the problem to be in power head or in lower unit. I have bought plenty of old outboards that are locked up and it is a lot of times rusted gears in the lower unit from sitting without oil. Good place to start.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Great motor! The '58 year in Johnson and Evinrudes are great lookers.

Here is a copy of your wiring diagram.

To make it short shaft, you will need to drop the gearcase. The drive shaft will need to be swapped. The water line either cut down, or replaced with a short shaft one. The shift rod will need to be replaced. You will need to open up the skeg to do this. Then just pull out the extension. You will need to replace the long rear bolt with a shorter one as well.

Tiller will not swap.Wiring1958_6135_40hpwithoutgenerato.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Rustyjp

Recruit

Thanks for all the information! I was messing around with the 35 yesterday I discovered the top spark plug is stripped out and just kinda shakes in there but that being said I ended up getting the motor to fire but I think the lack of compression is stopping it from running since I believe it's not pumping fuel it looks like the top cylinder is what makes the fuel pump I also learned why it has electric start the starter will spin but won't engage so I was pulling it to see if I could get it to fire and does anyone know where I could find the tiller and the parts to make it a short shaft

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Rusty. Glad you got her to fire up, but if the top plug wiggles around it's probably stripped, which means it will need to be repaired. I actually had to do a similar job recently and used a product called a Helicoil to replace the threads. As for fuel delivery, OMC motors (Johnson/Evinrude) used a 2-line vacuum tank until 1959 at which point they switched to a single line, fuel pump set up. As a result, your '58 model will need the 2-line version as well. If you don't have one, you'll need to buy a tank in working order. However, it is quite easy to convert your motor to a fuel pump set up if you want. You'll also need to run 24:1 mix (5.5 fl.oz. marine 2-stroke oil to 1 US gal. of regular, 87 octane gas) along with Champion J6C plugs. You should be able to find a tiller on ebay for about $35 as well as the extension kit. Does your boat have a 20" transom? If not, there's no need for the longshaft conversion. On the contrary, most vintage OMC motors tend to sit a little too low on most standard transoms and generally require some sort of riser/jackplate to compensate.

Converting the Old OMC Dual Fuel

Rustyjp

Recruit

I was just reading about the heli coils and I was wondering what the gas oil mix was thanks! And I was looking into it the 15hp is the dual fuel line set up and the 35hp is a single line set up the connector is the same as for my newer 6hp evinrude and I need to go from the long to short shaft my transom height is 15" and the short shaft motor I have on it now should be brought up some well that's at least what I was told and I was looking on eBay for a tiller and didn't see any does it have to come from the same motor or can I use a newer or older tiller

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again. Any tiller from a 30-40hp Johnson of that era should work. It may be listed as "Johnson" rather than Evinrude, but they're the same except for the color. It sounds like the 15hp has the old 2-line system in which case you'll need the vacuum tank as well, while the 35hp has the modern, single line set up as your 6hp, which is great. I would probably convert the 15hp to a single line that way all of the motors can use the same tank and fittings. In terms of the motor's height, you generally want the anti-vent plate located just above the prop, to be level or slightly higher than the keel of the boat. These pics may help too.

HEL-5334-14__26780.1371742345.1280.1280.jpg1-Correct Trim Angle.JPGmotor height on transom.jpg

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Another option is just to swap the head for one without a blown hole. Look in your PM's.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. That's even better. If you can buy a new/used head for a good price that's best. I think the helicoil kit was about $15-$20 and worked great, but it was a bit nerve racking to use. It's kind of a one shot deal, but you can use it with the head in place. If you go with a new head, take your time getting the old head bolts out. They can be stubborn. You'll need a new head gasket as well as well as a torque wrench. These may help too.

TorqueSequence.jpgTorque_Specs.jpgSurfacing an outboard head.jpg

Rustyjp

Recruit

I had the mechanic up the road from me do the heli coil and didn't charge me a thing and now I just have to get the time to work on it, does anyone know what type of paint I can use I'm thinking of painting it before I get it in the water and thanks everyone for the help!

kfa4303

Banned

To paint the motor, you'll first want to scuff up the old paint, then wipe it down with a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar. After it dries you can then apply a few light coats with some Zinc Chromate Self-Etching primer. It tends to have sort of a camo green color to it once dry. You can then apply any top coat you like. Most folks either use a rattle can of the same brand as the primer and/or mix their own paint plus a bit of hardener. You generally don't want/need any clear coat as it tends to peel off in water. Instead, just let the motor thoroughly dry for a few days so the paint can get nice and hard. You can use any brand you like, really, but lots of folks like good old fashion Rustoleum. However, if you want factory correct paint check NYmarine.com for paint decals and other trim pars, but be prepared to pay a pretty penny. That's really all there is to it. Like all paint jobs, it's all about the prep and attention to detail.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Actually the nymarine paint has come down in price, in line with any paint you would buy off the shelf now, and is correct colour, and quality paint.

take your time with the prep, that is 90 percent of the work.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

For what it's worth. The 2 line tanks are pressure tanks not Vacuum tanks.

kfa4303

Banned

Good point. Pressure not vacuum, indeed. Glad the NYMarine paint prices are down to. I might have to get some vintage OMC white for my motor. Assuming I get off my butt and actually try to paint it :/