primer bulb sucked flat

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
1981 'rude 90 hp v-4. for the problem running yesterday fishing the flats (caught great fish by the way) heading in late yesterday afternoon was running at about 3/4 throttle the engine just dies, thought I bumped the switch but no, checked the primer bulb and it was sucked flat. disconnected the fuel line to the tank (under deck built in tank) bulb plumped back out, re primed and fired right up.. after a few minutes of 3/4 to full throttle it sucked flat again. and stalled. after a minute playing with the bulb it plumped back up again, after a few pumps on the bulb it was hard and we were running again. it did this all the way to the dock. (6-7 miles)

NOW for what I have checked so far, pick up tube in in tank is clear no blockage there.
tank isn't SUPPOSED to have any crud in it as this was the first time I used the boat since removing the tank for a repair on the tank and cleaned tank prior to reinstall.
there is NO anti siphon valve on the tank pick up. just a stand pipe that screws into the tank with a 90* barbed fitting to attatch fuel line. I can easily blow thru pick up.
tank is aluminum, and unless something got into the tank the very first time filling it then its clean.
Tank IS venting properly as I removed the gas cap and made no difference.

I have not test ran on my portable tank yet as the tank is my last test.
im leaning toward a bad primer bulb or bad fuel lines. although I replaced my fuel lines 11 months ago the inside could be sucking together. as I used automotive grade 3/8 fuel line (supposedly ethanol resistant) it just says not for high pressure fuel injection.

I did notice that the bulb material felt more flexible (soft) than last year, but could just be me. its an atwood bulb aprox 2 years old.

this morning I removed the fuel supply connector from the engine and then removed it from the hose and placed the loos end into my gas can and squeezed the primer bulb a few times and started a siphon, I siphoned about 3 gallons into my can with no problems. the hose nor the primer tried to collapse or suck flat on me

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: primer bulb sucked flat

im leaning toward a bad primer bulb or bad fuel lines

I think that sounds like the problem.
If there is ethanol in your gas, it can collapse the inside of the hose and/or damage the valves inside the bulb.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that sounds like the problem.
If there is ethanol in your gas, it can collapse the inside of the hose and/or damage the valves inside the bulb.

ok thanks. that's kid of what I figured. I just wanted to see what you great folks thought. I will pick up a new bulb and some hose. any suggestions for brand of bulb to use?

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I fought this very problem for ever. First it was a clogged pick up in the tank then it was a clogged fuel filter lastly I had a blockage in the fuel line before the primer. Ethanol. Evil evil stuff for older out boards.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Get a factory hose from Bombardier. They are rated to handle today's ethanol fuels. The Evinrude dealers sell them pre-assembled. Try to position the hose bulb so that the arrow on the side is headed skyward. They can cause problems if the arrow is pointing downhill..

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class

good advice I see so many people complain of fuel issues and have there primer just sitting in the belly of the transom in any position bungee cords are cheap and move with the engine nicely.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a factory hose from Bombardier. They are rated to handle today's ethanol fuels. The Evinrude dealers sell them pre-assembled. Try to position the hose bulb so that the arrow on the side is headed skyward. They can cause problems if the arrow is pointing downhill..[/QUOTe

well my hose comes out of the side of the splashwell then slightly down hill to the bottom of the splashwellover to the port side of the engine then u to the connector. with the primer about midway of the splashwell wall and the engine connector. the arrow is pointing the right direction but lays horizontal in the splashwell. has worked well like that for years. I am pretty sure I have either (or both) a collapsed hose or a bad primer bulb. im 99.9 percent sure the tank is clean since I just installed it and filled it the very day the problem showed up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Ever hear of something floating around in the tank blocking the pick up at times ?? Just a thought.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ever hear of something floating around in the tank blocking the pick up at times ?? Just a thought.

yes I have. read my original post. first time using the tank since replacement.. it is *possible* its something in the tank but I was careful not to let the foil seal from the oil jug get into the tank, infact I used a funnel to pour it in with a small neck (pencil diameter) unless something came out of the fuel nozzle (unlikely as I saw an inline filter in the fuel hose) and I know the tank was fresh and clean upon installing. I didn't assume I verified. but there is still that small possibility that's my issue im not gonna stand here and say it is definitely not the issue, just a very small probability. there is a much greater chance the hose and/or bulb is bad as the bulb is 2+ years old and fuel line is 1 year old.