82 9.9hp Johnson Slipping out of forward at full throttle

jsteverson

Recruit
Purchased a very clean 82 9.9 hp Johnson but don't know the motors history. I replaced the water pump and lower unit oil when first got it to the garage. Then the next day I noticed a little oil coming from the prop seal, so replaced that also. Finally got it out on the lake and noticed after awhile at full throttle it will "Slip" and rev high then go back into gear. No strange noises or grinding. So my first thought was spun prop, took prop off marked and took it back out. After getting it to do it again, I took the prop off and marks are still aligned. :grumpy: But what I did notice is it only will only slip if I'm at full throttle turning left, which leads me to think somethings not lined up correctly and its not a actual gear slipping or clutch dog? Any help would be great I don't know a lot about outboards but I'm sure there's someone that knows something I don't. Thanks in advance!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 82 9.9hp Johnson Slipping out of forward at full throttle

Sounds like it's ventilating in the turn. What position is your tilt pin in ??

jsteverson

Recruit

I've had it in the first and second pin holes near the transom... Thank you for the reply this has got me puzzled.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Try another prop.

jsteverson

Recruit

Kinda hate to buy another prop and that not be the issue thou

AlTn

Commander

if this is a tiller handle set up, is it slipping to the slide with the most weight?...anything "extra" on that side of the transom?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Change your position in the boat once and see what happens. Do you have anything on the bottom of the boat creating some type of turbulence ??

joeseif

Seaman Apprentice

What condition is your propeller in? Does it have nicks or any bends?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

What is the transom vertical height ?-----Sounds like the motor is mounted too high.

jsteverson

Recruit

Short shaft motor 15" transom height. Prop looks new just paint worn off the actual blades. If I sit on the right side of the boat it happens when turning left. Haven't tried sitting on the left side. Its a new flat bottom nothing mounted to the boat.