1957 Johnson 18 hp. Won't start. Help appreciated.

jewski

Cadet
Just got a 1957 Johnson 18 hp motor that goes with the 1959 lone star Malibu boat we bought yesterday. Trying to start the motor at home in a barrel, before putting it on the boat for test ride/leak test. My husband can't seem to get it started. In the process, he has now stripped one of the spark plug housings. I searched the forum and found out about Heila coil kit. He is on the way to the automotive store to get one.

Any other nuances about this engine that he should know about with regard to starting? The previous owner said The owner prior to him had read built the entire motor and it started when he bought it 3 years ago, but has not used it since.

He installed new plugs, (ie the stripped socket), tried pull staring it about 100 times! Started fluid got it to "pop", but never caught/turned over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. He tends to leap before he looks when it comes to things like this. So I'm just trying to "look" for him!!

Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Johnson 18 hp. Won't start. Help appreciated.

A proper spark test must be done.----A good ignition system will be able to jump a gap of 1/4" or more with ease.

JDGerman

Recruit
My 1958 Johnson outboard has different thread diameters on the upper and lower spark plug sockets, which may be why the threads got stripped on yours. Here's the really weird part - the spark plugs that were in it what I got it were both labeled Champion type J8C! How can the same type plug have two different thread diameters? Anyone got an answer?

nwcove

Admiral
My 1958 Johnson outboard has different thread diameters on the upper and lower spark plug sockets, which may be why the threads got stripped on yours. Here's the really weird part - the spark plugs that were in it what I got it were both labeled Champion type J8C! How can the same type plug have two different thread diameters? Anyone got an answer?
they dont.