water pump spline grease

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im going to try my first water pump this weekend. Is the spline grease I see guys using in how to videos special grease or just white lithium???
Thanks

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water pump spline grease

moly-lube don't put any on the very top of the shaft.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

NJ usually means salt water. Spend $4 and get some marine grease. Boat trailer wheel bearing grease works good in salt water. I use it for the zerks and prop shaft as well.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Chris being from Midwest never gave a thought to salt water.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

White moly-lube comes with the factory water pump kits and is used on the splines. You can use the regular Evinrude Triple-Guard grease on the impeller housing to ease assembly as it is safe to use on rubber items.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reason I was asking is because I got the Sierra pump kit. It didn't come with any type lube. Is it Ok to use the moly lube on the impellor itself??

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

By design, the impeller is lubricated by water alone. Which means it should require no other lubrication because it should never be turning when not in water. Having said that, there are some people that think you should lube at first install. Some people don't. I personally do use some type of lube but it's really just for ease of getting impeller veins to slide into housing. Just about any type of lube would work, it's gonna get washed away anyhow. I just use plain ole Vaseline.