1978 Evinrude 75 hp not starting

derrhalt

Cadet
Maybe someone can help me. Bought motor last summer and owner said has not run in 2 years. Did compression check and got 115-120 in each cylinder. Installed new waterpump and impeller, new sparks and new lower gear oil. Battery is charged and working. What am I doing wrong! Any suggestions would be appreciated

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1978 Evinrude 75 hp not starting

Are you saying the engine will turn over but not fire off?
Have you checked the spark with an air gap tester?
Is the choke working properly?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have your battery load tested and then check all your connections for being clean and tight.

derrhalt

Cadet

checked all connections and battery and all seem fine. I put some fuel in the cylinders and put sparks back in and it turned alot faster but did not fire. Is there anything else I should check?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check your spark. It should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That engine must crank at least 250 rpm's in order for the ignition to fire the spark plugs. You can get some excellent ignition troubleshooting info for your exact engine at this website: cdielectronics.com

jeff cleaver

Recruit
I just bought a Fisher King with the 1974 evinrude40, I cant get it to crank over with my switch, I get power to one side of the solenoid but when I turn the key one of the little wires gets power but that's it, I put a new solenoid on it, can anyone help me out on this issue?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I just bought a Fisher King with the 1974 evinrude40, I cant get it to crank over with my switch, I get power to one side of the solenoid but when I turn the key one of the little wires gets power but that's it, I put a new solenoid on it, can anyone help me out on this issue?
Didn't read the rules about hijacking someone else's thread huh? No biggy, but by doing so you add confusion to this thread. Start your own thread.