1989 johnson 60 hp running problems, smoking and lousy idle

Prattfamilly

Cadet
Hello All,
I am recently a "new" boat owner. I've been reviewing the forums and have only recently joined up. I appreciate any feedback and advice you all may give and hopefully can learn some to help give back some day. So my sincere thanks in advance. I hope the post is not to long, just figured id throw all the info i had.
Here is my story:
I picked up a nice 1988 olympic 17' with two outboards, an early 70's Merc 1000ss and a 1989 Johnson 60 hp. Ive chosen to focus my attention on getting the Johnson up and running and so far it seems ok. She is a salt water motor that is showing the signs for sure. Ive got it all hooked up, built a deep running test tank and stand and trying to get it tuned properly so my kids and I can have a safe/reliable running outboard for this summer's boating season. Im familiar with two stokes(dirt bikes and the like) but not sure just how much applies to outboards. Im a decent mechanic and try and take care as i go, without back yarding it too much. Ive found a good shop manual resource online iv been following but have come up a little short on trouble shooting. I have been hesitant to run the motor at high speed even on warm up lever.
The Gist:
Starts and "runs" in the tank- haven't put it on the boat yet as i wanted to work out any and all bugs in the tank as much as I can. Have not run it under load.(though it runs it does NOT run as well as Id like).
Will prime with electric primer but will only run with the primer level in the manual position.
Smokes rather excessively at times. White/bluish smoke with black oily discharge rising into tank. Seams to be rich but as i don't know outboards and im hesitant to make assumptions.
Small tube from bottom of powerhead cylinder, on carb side, at bottom of spark arrester/silencer, periodically spits out grey(light at first now dark) gunk that smells like fuel, leaving a think residue on the inside at the bottom carb.
Excessive fuel collecting at carb air intake side(while running at idle and low speed) leaking out into intake side of throat. there seems to be small puddles collecting at the mouth of each carb. started of as clear fuel/mix but now has turned cloudy white.
Revs up(seemingly) excessively on warm up level and drastically, it goes from rough low speed idle to high speed( again im hesitant to let it but i know two strokes love their powerband).
plugs appear ok- black/bown electrodes, more to the black side(again maybe rich?) however the bottom cylinder does appear cleaner on the ceramic(maybe water indicated?, I REALLY HOPE NOT)

What Ive discovered and done, hopefully nothing too stupid:
Shows signs of "work" being done-wires cut and spliced, some bolts/nuts that don't appear oem. I haven't touched the wiring much except to clean contact points showing signs of excessive corrosion and when the starter was replaced.
Opened solenoid and de-carbonized-Drilled out rivets and opened up to find it well used. removed carbon build up, sanded contacts with 600 grit, reassembled, riveted back together with hand rivet gun. works much better under load.
Turns over well- I had to replace starter due to previous person maybe overheating the starter so the had winding's let go. ran a draw test to determine and pulled apart, found broken windings and replaced.
Compression is 100 +/- 3lbs per cylinder(good/bad?)
Spark is good- used an old Johnson spark tester as well as grounding plugs and exterior test. New Plugs.
Water is streaming(peeing) from indicator port and through exhaust on the stem and out of propeller(also briefly tested at Idle on Muffs outside the tank). So far the heat seams consistant through out the block but not sure of opperational temp?
takes fuel well- have an original in the box brand new OMC tank, No rust or corrosion present inside or out. new fuel lines, connectors and bulb. fuel filter is unimpeded.
Removed carbs and removed build up, cleaned jetting and any Shellac i found. some green build up in bowl but not much.
Reeds appear in decent shape- All there, no gaps or cracking visible, gaskets also appear in decent shape
Running 50-1 gas/oil mix(johnson brand oil, new fuel 92 octane) as the VRO has been plugged by previous persons. most likely will try out VRO at later date but want to focus my attention on the power head and getting it running first as ive read the vro can be touchy.

Gentleman if you have any ideas or direction its much appreciated. Its my first personal boat and want to get it out on the bay so my family and i can share it. Thanks so much for checking out my post and getting back with your ideas.
E

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 johnson 60 hp running problems, smoking and lousy idle

With primer in the manual position fuel bypasses the carburetor and goes directly into the motor.-------This clearly indicates that you need to revisit carburetor cleaning.------Pay particular attention to the high speed jets ( orifice ) found in the carburetor bowl.----They are screw horizontally into the carburetor bowl.

Prattfamilly

Cadet

Racerone,
Ok thank you. I will revisit the carbsand thoroughly Clean/inspect again. Any ideas on the whitish fuel collecting at the throat of each carb?
Much appreciated Racerone, will let you know.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Water vapour from air condenses on the cold surfaces of the carburetor and turns white in the fuel.---Just like water droplets on a cold glass of our favourite beverage.

Prattfamilly

Cadet

well it looks like I had missed those high speed jets previously, THANK YOU very much Racerone. they did have some residue but not a great deal, they were still open pretty good but it seems to run much better after cleaning them and it doesnt need the primer open, however it still tends to smoke quite a bit, likes to surge(maybe a miss) at lower speeds and does not want to idle with the warm up lever down all the way down(will die). I'm curious if the timing maybe off. Hate to chase my tail..
Thanks again!
E

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Timing is fixed and does not need adjusting for the life of the motor !----Have you done a compression test ?

Prattfamilly

Cadet

I have done a compression test, 100psi per cylinder(+/- 3 lbs) all seem to be fairly consistent. Isnt there ingnition/fuel synchronization that involves timing? I pulled the plugs after a good 15min test run in the tank and top plug looks dark tan, mid plug looks black, bottom looks light tan.. it does run amazingly better after your advice.. Also now idling better..

racerone

Supreme Mariner

There is but one timing adjustment and that is the maximum spark advance.-Adjusted at the factory and good for the life of the motor !!-------Then there is throttle pick-up timing and that is a throttle linkage adjustment.----Then again there is that magical flywheel key.-If it is sheared then timing will change.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

also if you cleaned the carbs,LIGHTLY seat the idle screws, back them out 2-1/2 turns, that's the initial setting, that's just for idle,adj. idle from there. Screw in leans out richens, 1/16 of a turn at a time waiting 15 seconds between turns as it needs time to respond,not like an auto.

Prattfamilly

Cadet

ahhh... ok.. does the throttle pick up timing have an adjustment sequence to follow in order to make sure its properly adjusted? I ask because im guessing someone had been messing with it before me and may have tried any and all screws that adjust, i would like to get them back to the original settings as a base line. Im guessing thats adjusted on the the thumb screw on the linkage assembly. Already you have helped me tremendously Racerone. Many many thanks!
175se, thank you for the input, that was another adjustment i had not been able to find anywhere, the manual i have access to is pretty good but doesn't list allot of the factory settings. you are talking about the angle mounted adjustment screw in line with the primer input at the top of the carbs? looked at the schematic for a type 1 and couldnt pin-point it down.

Prattfamilly

Cadet

175se,
i had discovered that the screws were set two turns(4 180 turns) out on all 3 carbs so i had left them at that setting, with the mind it was consistent and possibly left alone previously.. I will try bringing back to 2.5 and going from there.. Very much appreciated.

Prattfamilly

Cadet

well guys,
suffice to say today was mostly a success. got the motor running much better thanks to you all, yet still may have some tune up to do after we get it salty. got her mounted today as well and hope to get a sea trial in soon. I brought the idle adjustments back to 2.5 +1/8 turn on each... have the throttle pickup about middle.. the detent screw(the stop) for idle is mostly buried to keep good idle.. smoke is reduced and it sounds great. all plugs look pretty decent except middle still runs blackish.. kicker is a honda soooo NO WORRIES.. any advice on what to look for to prevent catastrophe would be great and much appreciated.. you have done me and my family a great service and I give many thanks,, Many Many thanks.
Cheers and Thank you,
Eric

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Does the hose for the tell tale come of the side of the exhaust manifold or off the top of the block ?

Prattfamilly

Cadet

Racerone,
it comes off of the side of the powerhead. The large plate on port side.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

There was a factory service bulletin that came out in 1994 to relocate the tell tale hose fitting.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

There was a factory service bulletin that came out in 1994 to relocate the tell tale hose fitting to the top of the block.-----I would say the motor was rarely taken to a knowledgeable shop for service work.----They would have recommended this simple procedure.-----Service bulletin is # 2276 rev 1.------Has to to with eliminating possible cooling issues on these motors.

Prattfamilly

Cadet

Ahh.. ok.. thank you... Whats the nominal temperature range for this motor? in my wanderings and research i have been unable to nail that down so i can be sure to watch it..

Prattfamilly

Cadet

i wonder if its a procedure i can do myself at some point?