1958 Johnson 35 Water pump Thermostat question

docplg

Recruit
Just received a new (to me) 1958 Johnson 35 HP (RDS 20 I believe) and went through most things in hopes of putting her in the water this weekend-
Was told it was water ready so was not expecting to do too much.

It started up easily and sounded to run real well, but was not seeing water expelled and am wondering if this is because it is not circulating and pump needs work or if this is normal because it has a thermostat..?

I have read some online and have found some that say it does have a thermostat and others that say it should kick water right away.

Any helpful information would be great!

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 Johnson 35 Water pump Thermostat question

That motor has a thermostatically controlled, dual water line cooling system.

Upon initial start up, it will not gush a lot of water, while the thermostat is closed. there should however be some water misting, with the exhaust. The water from the pump is constantly being circulated, until the t stat decides it is warm enough, then it opens.

That motor must have the t stat and poppet valve installed, or air/exhaust will make its way back down to the water pump, rendering it useless. They pump water well, air not so much.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1958 Johnson 35 Water pump Thermostat question

Great old motor. Make sure you're running the motor in a test tank with water filled to about 1-2" below the exhaust port as you can't use modern "muffs" on these old girls. This link may help too.

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1