Tilt & Trim Electrical Problem

Herkybird

Recruit
Johnson 1983 90 hp. I recently replaced my tilt & trim motor, every thing went fine. Once complete, I ran a few times and then it quit. Checked the voltage coming form the relay box I got 12.7 volts one way and nothing the other. I checked the relays and found one badly corroded. Changed it out with a used one. Unit ran good twice and then quit. I could not get any voltage out of the box. I replaced both relays with new ones. I still get no voltage out of the box. I checked the voltage going in the box and get 12.7 volts. I checked the fuse it is good also checked voltage through the fuse and I get 12.7 volts through the fuse. There are only three other things tied into the box. The operating switch, a gauge, and a limit switch. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt & Trim Electrical Problem

The 1983 unit has no limit switch... however, of no consequence.

Check the wiring to the plugs that the relays set in... it sounds like you may have a corrosion problem there.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You may want to review the wiring diagram for the trim box with the factory manual.

Fed

Commander

I'd be pretty suspicious of the sockets that the relays plug into.
Try plugging & unplugging the relays several times and if it starts working try & clean up the contacts in the sockets or replace them.