1958 Evinrude 35 cooling problem

Jimmiller

Cadet
Hello; I am relatively new to outboard motors, but I have a pretty good mechanical background in cars, trucks and motorcycles. I ppurchased a 1958 Evinrude 35 Big Twin, that had a bad Impeller. I replaced that, but I'm still not getting any water out of the discharge hole. The Motor is running Hotter than I think it should. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 Evinrude 35 cooling problem

Is the water intake area free of debris?

What was the condition of the impeller housing and plate? Did you seal down the plate? Did you remember the drive pin?

Try flushing and backflushing compressed air, or the garden hose, up and down the cooling circuit. Was the old impeller missing any chunks?

What was the condition of the grommets for the water line? If swelled, or if the water line is not greased, it could prevent water flow.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

...also, are you running this on a boat or barrel? If barrel, is the water line up high enough? It has to be a couple inches below exhaust port. the pump MUST be fully submerged, it is not self priming. A dinky little barrel will not cut it.

Jimmiller

Cadet

...also, are you running this on a boat or barrel? If barrel, is the water line up high enough? It has to be a couple inches below exhaust port. the pump MUST be fully submerged, it is not self priming. A dinky little barrel will not cut it.

I'm useing a 55gal barrel and the water is about right, pin and seal correct. Yes - the Impeller was missing some small pieces of rubber. The only thing I can think of, is I haven't tried to flush the water passages. Inlet area is clear of debris.

Jimmiller

Cadet

I'm useing a 55gal barrel and the water is about right, pin and seal correct. Yes - the Impeller was missing some small pieces of rubber. The only thing I can think of, is I haven't tried to flush the water passages. Inlet area is clear of debris.

After I thought about the water level - I went and checked it. I was wrong! I will have to adjust it. It is about 6 - 8 inches below the exhaust port. Will try that in the morning. Thanks, and wish me luck.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

For sure the water pump needs to be submerged fully, might not be exactly 2 to 3 inches below exhaust cavity, but roughly. 6" should still bury the water pump I would think.

I would try to flush the cooling circuit. If you didn't find all the rubber, it could be lodged in the circuit somewhere.

Jimmiller

Cadet

I went back to the drawing board, so to speak. Dropped the lower unit about an inch or so. I looked inside to see what was going on. I saw that the water pick up line was missaligned. Realigned it, put everything back together, and it works FINE now. Thanks, HighTrim. With your help, I got it going and I also cleaned and adjusted the carb. Runs like a new motor. :) Now - I want to clean it up real good and repaint it. Any idea where I can pick up the turqouis looking paint that they were originally painted? And a maintainance manual for it? Thanks. Jimmiller

Last edited:

Jimmiller

Cadet

This site is worth it's weight in Gold! With the help of HighTrim - I saved some hard earned cash, and got better educated about my motor. lol

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Awesome, glad it was a small little thing!

There are a couple sites that are recommended.

I use the paint and decals from nymarine.ca and have never had an issue.

If you are in the US, I have heard good things about reprotint here

Reproptint Paints & EffenA Co Online Store - Home

Jimmiller

Cadet

Thanks, Chris. Now - one more question if I may. I took the boat out on the Lake a few minutes ago, and at WOT - the motor seemed to be cavitating alot. Once in awhile it would grab water and try to cycle across the Lake. I have it on a 1961 LoneStar, Flamingo. Pretty light boat. No idea what size prop is on this thing, and it probably isn't in the best of condition either. What size prop would you recomend? I thought the prop bushing might be bad, it moves a little when I turn the motor by hand (1/16 of an inch or so). Any ideas?