1989 Evinrude 40 HP

Just bought this motor and I've never had an Evinrude before. I installed a new water pump kit and I am getting water to the thermostat. Does this motor only "pee" when the water in the system reaches a certain temp? Or should it "pee" all the time? I'm using water muffs to test.

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Evinrude 40 HP

Does water come out through the prop?
Could be the tube is plugged, with the engine running, use a piece of weed wacker line and push it up the tell-tale hose.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Pull it back down and check to see that the water tube has actually made it's way back into the water pump!

I've done the weed trimmer line thing and water does come out the prop.

I guess I'll have to drop the lower unit AGAIN to make sure everything is connected. Sure is a pain doing this by myself and making sure the silly shift linkage is in the right place!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Greg

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Before you go rushing into this work you may want to know that there is no water tube on a 1989 model.----The water passage way is cast into the exhaust housing !!!!!----Did you install a new seal on the pump outlet ?---Put boat in the lake and see if the pisser works !!----Motor should pee all the time when it is running.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well racer you learned me something new again! The newest engine I'm runing is a 1987 50 hp. Thanks for the headsup!

Thanks racer!

I didn't think I saw a water tube when I had it apart last time. That particular seal did not come with the kit I bought, but the seal looked and felt OK so I reused it. Waiting on a fuel pump now as a part of the oil/fuel pump deletion project, hope to have it running mid-week.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Looking back at the 1st post are you certain that the thermostat is openning?

bonz_d

I did make sure it would open by compressing the spring. But as far as heating it up in a pan of water, no I haven't done that.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

hot water is the sure way to tell that the spring tension is correct.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Is the spring part of the thermostat or is it part part of the poppit valve ?

Well, she runs and pees! Kinda runs, think I'm having a fuel delivery problem. I replaced the oil/gas mixing unit, cleaned the carbs and I'm using a primer bulb I bought from Walmart. Has anyone had issues with the Walmart primer bulbs?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Sounds as though you're having more than one problem with this thing.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

You are. There just may be more than one, just take'm one at a time and you'll get it worked out.

Does anyone know the settings for the air/fuel mixture screws on the carbs? How many turns out from seating is it? 2? 2.5?

Thanks

Greg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
1) You cannot verify water pump operation on muffs since the city water pressure is "forcing" water through the system whether the pump works or not.
2) There is no "one setting fits all" for the air/fuel mixture (idle mixture) setting on the carbs. If the engine runs (in the lake -- not on muffs) adjust the screw IN until the engine just begins to slow. Note the setting. Now rotate the screw OUT until the engine begins to slow. Again note the setting. Happiness is somewhere between the two positions. Repeat this process for the other carb(s). Then repeat the process again to fine tune. You may need to adjust idle speed up or down as it can change with mixture settings. If you change idle speed, you need to adjust mixture again.