Fuel pump numbers for v6 crossflows

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class
All right gentlemen, I purchased the new Brp fuel pump kit for my 235 that I am building. My original pumps were completely ate up. All the metal in the pumps was crust and dust. So, in this kit, I have 2 pumps with the same #........ 438559. But they each have a different sub #. One is 15-L-1L and the other is 16-I-1M. The instructions don't indicate what goes where(which one is the pump that gets the tank line and which one gets it's inlet from the outlet of the first pump). Or does it even matter at all? You know, I completely took apart a set of 82 or 83 pumps and compared them. They were identical on the inside. Same spring, diaphram, gasket etc. What gives here? I thought one is the pusher and the other the puller? Just looking for some clarification here.

If anyone has the proper info for me, I will using the upper pump as the one from the tank. The lower will get its feed from above. Thanks ahead of time:)

Keith

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel pump numbers for v6 crossflows

I don't think it matters, both pumps having the same part number. I am sure someone will come along and help out.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't think it mattered much either. But I just wanted to hear from others. Anyone else have something to say(about the pumps....... I figured I better say that, cause I know someone smart will chide in with something ..............LOL!) on the mater? I'm always open to hear what others have to say.
Thanks

Keith

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The part number defines the engineering attributes of the pump. They are both the same number, so their form, fit and function will be identical. The other number may be a date code of manufacture.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Emds, is BRP listing the pumps the same now ?? There were some service bulletins out in the late '70's early '80's that said they were different.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

boobie, you've got a good memory! The two different part numbers from the past still supercede to two different part numbers today. One of the old part numbers superceded to a single pump (438559), the other part number supercedes to a kit-389440. Inside that kit should be another pump (438559) and the special factory j-hose that goes between the two pumps. So, both pumps are the same, but sold under different part numbers.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Thanks. Leave it to the factory.:confused: