1975 johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1975 johnson 6hp. I been having problems with gettin the water tube into the upper gromet. Has anyone here had experience with installing it. Any tips or how did you install it? I install the gromet into place but now I can't get the water tube to sit in place. Before that I tried putting gromet on opper tube and tried putting both of them in at the same time but it wouldn't go in. Any help would be greatly appricated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 johnson

The grommet has two lobes that must flip into their respective holding holes.... are those lobes where they belong? If so, the tube should insert fairly easily.

However.... file the outside top edges of the tube so that the edges contour inward, then apply a slight bit of grease there.

There is a mechanics tool... a small bright light on the end of a fairly long flexible shaft, normally used to inspect cylinder walls by inserting it into/thru a spark plug hole. Perhaps with such a tool, you could verify that the grommet is seated properly.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There should be no problem assembling the water tube. The upper grommet needs to be in place, with ears in their holes. Then insert the tube into the upper grommet. Finally, oil or grease the lower grommet and install the gearcase. You can see what you are doing as you do it.

I wonder about the seal assembly at the top end of the drive shaft. Can we assume you rotated the flywheel as you removed the gearcase so the seal's drive pin aligned? Can we assume you noticed the position of the pin so you can put it back in the same rotational position? Can we assume you haven't turned the flywheel while the gearcase was removed? If we can't, then you will have to do some "feeling" around as you put it back. The drive shaft needs to be positioned so the pin is crosswise, then it will go through the slot. If you have rotated the flywheel, you will have to "find" the splines as you insert the drive shaft, without rotating the drive shaft.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

F-R, it was a great point you brought up about the drive shaft but I thought he was talking about the water tube ??

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Yea I do have the gromet set in with the ears in there correct postion. I will try to get this tube in. I've had this engine for a year or two and had it up and running but I noticed water was coming thru the gromet and thats why I had to replace it. Hopefully I will get it done this weekend or next. Thanks for taking the time to help me out with the great tips. And I didn't think about turning the flywheel would change the postion of the slot. It's a pain in the arse getting the lower unit back in place but with patience I will hopefully get the tube in place. Thanks again

GEOFFREY STROUD

Recruit
Hello all, I have a 1975 evinrude, 50hp. my problem is i replace power pack, both coils,plugs, wires,fuel filter etc. on my way to replace the stator. my problem is it still will not get over 2000 rpm. need help on finding the problem.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hello all, I have a 1975 evinrude, 50hp. my problem is i replace power pack, both coils,plugs, wires,fuel filter etc. on my way to replace the stator. my problem is it still will not get over 2000 rpm. need help on finding the problem.

Off topic, so wrong place to ask. Start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.