1972 18hp Evinrude just got running pops out of gear sometimes

eloham1979

Cadet
Hello I am having a little trouble I have a boat that was given to me an my son for the summer I got it running it runs great now no trouble the but every once in a while it just pops out of gear was not sure if this is because it sat as I am not familar with this motor I did the service on it it had not been run in about 3 years the service I did was upper crank seal points an condensors coils wires carb kit new fuel lines intake gaskets an reeds I have no complaints with the running it seems to pop out of reverse more then drive but every once in a while with no warning it just falls out of gear I am hoping there is a simple adjustment for the linkage but that why I am asking you fellows I also changed the oil in the foot thanks for any tips or advice inadvance

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 18hp Evinrude just got running pops out of gear sometimes

Check all the shift linkage on it for being worn. May also have bad dog and gears in the lower unit.

Humperdink

Cadet

Make sure nothing is interfering with the linkage.

If not, then the clutch dog is suspect. both forward and reverse gears spin all the time. They spin freely on the output shaft. This clutch dog slides up and down the output shaft in between the gears. It cannot turn separately from the output shaft. When it engages the selected gear it transfers the power from the gear to the shaft and the prop spins. If the surface that interacts with the gears is worn, the outboard begins to pop out of gear.

eloham1979

Cadet

no quick fix how much does this clutch dog run if I have to tackle it an how bad is it to do

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The price for new is scary. May be cheaper to find a donor motor,

Humperdink

Cadet

********** has them around 120. ebay has them cheaper. much cheaper used. To replace it you have to split the gear case which is sort of tricky. If you've never been in one before, Study an exploded parts diagram and pay attention when you take it apart! Replacing the clutch dog itself is a cake walk. reassembling the gear case is the tough part. Once you get it all back together you need to seal it back up. new spaghetti seal and prop shaft seal at least. the standard is 3m 847 sealant, but it is not cheap and hard to find outside internet. permatex ultra black has worked for me but others insist on the 847.

You may get away a bit cheaper than an ebay replacement lower, but it is a lot of work. good deals on used lower units make ebay an easy way out that is not much more expensive.

There is a little arm in there you want to inspect that pivots to move the clutch dog back and forth. you want to inspect that as well if the clutch dog looks good. inspect the gears too.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

had a 1965 18hp Rude that had a broken lower. Found a blown 18 with a good lower for $50.00 had it all changed and a new water pump installed in less than 2 hours, That's a lot less than $120.00

Better yet I was still able to resell the remainder for $50.00. Guy needed parts and the recoil.

Last edited:

kbait

Commander

There is a little arm in there you want to inspect that pivots to move the clutch dog back and forth. you want to inspect that as well if the clutch dog looks good. inspect the gears too.
=====================

.. agree. The shift rod from above connects to shift fork, and fork connects to clutch dog 'collar' or yoke that fit's on the clutch dog. If the fork is bent, or yoke is broken, it could result in your exact problems.. falling out of both gears. Normally on your motor, if the clutch dog/forward interface gets too worn, it'll pop out of gear and right back in very fast under load.. like you hit a log. Since yours just falls to neutral, and also falls out of reverse, I'd suspect the fork or yoke issue not giving the dog full movement to either gear.

Good luck.. oh and go to b o a t s . n e t to find a schematic of your gearcase.

Humperdink

Cadet

they censored me when i mentioned that site. not sure if i wanna post here anymore.

AlTn

Commander

don't get your feelings hurt just deal with it as Iboats does provide this site and you can understand their reluctance to advertise/mention their competitors sites

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes it is not wise to bite the hand that feeds you. They are here to provide a service and sell parts. The forum is just an added bonus. There are many good people here with a lot of knowlage and a good resourse.

Yes please do not take it personable. Can always respond through the PM FUNCTION.