1990 Johnson 140 HP ignition problem

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have spark on one bank of the engine but not the other. I have ordered a repair manual for this motor but was wondering if there is a quick test I can do while I wait to determine if it is either the Stator, Timer Base or Power Pack? I have done several internet searches and have found technical info for 1992 and up or 1989 and below. Am i missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1990 Johnson 140 HP ignition problem

Go to the CDI electronics website and look up your engine, use their troubleshooting guide to help you check out your engine.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Daviet....will do :joyous:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You're welcome, hope you find your problem.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your engine has a feature called S.L.O.W. One bank of cylinders cuts out when the heat sensor tells the power pack it is overheated. As recommended, the way to trouble check the problem can be found at the CDI web site. It involves disconnecting some wires that will allow the power pack to restore (or not restore) the juice to the dead bank. On a cold engine it is a matter of isolating the fault.

S.L.O.W. works. Twice I?ve picked up a plastic bag at full throttle that covered the water intake. I did not hear or see the warning signals. The experience is frightening, but It saved my engine.

Last edited:

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you HenryB. I did all the stator checks yesterday evening and found now faults. I did not do the S.L.O.W. troubleshooting. Will check that this evening. That might be the problem since I have not been able to find any other problems so far. I was given the engine from a neighbor who passed away and the boat and motor was serviced and winterized 2 yrs ago and has not run since 2012. I removed all the shrink wrap and have begun the clean up. All checks out but the motor. Hopefully it will turn out to be simple fix

Love this site!!

Last edited:

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I was lucky enough to find out my new neighbor down the street ia an OMC tech. He double checked my troubleshooting techniques and verified that yes...the CDI Power Pack is bad. New one ordered from iboats.com. Thanks again for all your help!

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

New Power Pack works like a charm. Thank you all for your help and support.

GCarlover

Cadet

Powerpack went out on mine a few yrs ago. Timing light was erratic and would not idle. Does anyone know why they changed the plug gap specs to .030 ? I left mine at .040. I think the permagap plugs are.050. A local Tech told me they go out a lot.

GCarlover

Cadet

Powerpack went out on mine a few yrs ago. Timing light was erratic and would not idle. Does anyone know why they changed the plug gap specs to .030 ? I left mine at .040. I think the permagap plugs are.050. A local Tech told me they go out a lot.

Last edited: