Evinrude 110 lower unit shimming question

metalspeich

Recruit
Hi all. I am new to he forum. as a matter of fact this is my first forum. I have a question about shimming the drive shaft on my 1989 Evinrude E110CEM.

To start, I discovered shavings on the plug magnets the last time I changed my lower unit oil last year. This was not fine past, but the type that would draw blood if squeezed tightly between your fingers. So I take it to a mechanic. He takes it apart enough to get a look inside. Sure enough, there is a tooth and half chewed off the forward gear. After telling me about what it would cost to fix, I told him to put it back together and would figure out what to do at a later date. I was considering trying to locate a good used unit, and had found one for about $600 delivered.

But, then i cam across a deal i couldn't refuse. A complete prop shaft assembly with gears and all for $100 dlivered. It was used, but in great condition. And the gears are a matched set. So I decide i can do this job myself. To be quite honest, it is a pretty simple job to take this thing off the motor, and tear it down. My only concern, and this is my question, is it safe to use the original drive shaft shims, or should I take it to someone and have the clearance reset/verified?. I don't have the special shimming tool, and that thing is not cheap.

I already have the thing put back together, but I could probably break it down again in less than an hour.

Metalspeich

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 110 lower unit shimming question

its best to check how its shimmed or you will most likely have the same problem. I would have it checked if it were mine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Did you replace the bearing that is above the pinion gear?

metalspeich

Recruit

its best to check how its shimmed or you will most likely have the same problem. I would have it checked if it were mine.

That is kind of what i was thinking. I guess, even if the clearance was right before, the new pinion gear could alter things. is this correct?

metalspeich

Recruit

Did you replace the bearing that is above the pinion gear?

No sir. I checked all the bearings and they were turning smooth with no binding or rough spots. I am actually using the thrust bearings and thrust washers that came with the new (to me) parts. I am also using my old carrier bearing assembly. I cleaned all the parts in solvent, blew them out with compressed air and re-lubed them.

Does anyone now of the clearance can be checked with a digital slide caliper?

Metalspeich