twin Johnson 140 questions

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer
Greetings all!
I have a recently purchased Wellcraft 250 Coastal with twin 1988 Johnson 140. I'm having issues with power at WOT and thru troubleshooting have noticed that each engine's fuel line has not 1 but three inline filters - a Racor water/fuel 10 micro separator filter close to the tank, a clear filter after the primer bulb, and another clear filter under cowling right before the VRO/fuel pump. My gut tells me this combo may be restricting the fuel pump suction at WOT, the engines run great except lack of power past 4k rpm (they will reach a little over 5k if very lightly loaded - one person and very little fuel). I've rebuilt all carbs, new VRO/fuel pumps, checked spark, compression, etc.
Another question - I replaced water pumps and checked thermostats before I splashed the boat. Both engines are around 5 or 6 psi at idle and no more than 10 or 11 psi at WOT. This seems much too low to me. Pee stream at wot seems more like a stream than a spray, as i was accustomed to seeing on my cross-flow 140. These engines seem to have a funky array of small water lines running around the back of the block - that is where the gauges tee into.
No overheating problems, but water temperature where I boat is still cold (55 deg F).

Thanks in advance for responses!