serial# 15016 evinrude fastwin?

hometech210

Cadet
Hello to all! First of all want to say its been years since I was on the iboats page. Busy life! I have this evinrude I had purchased last year needing a new life. Serial#15016 Have not gotten it to run yet. Points, condenser and coils look fairly good and clean but no spark yet.I did notice the throttle rod link is frozen and wont move. Question? would this cause no spark. Seems to be stuck in the start position according to
the throttle metal setting decal.Will post pictures by next post. Tks to all for any help.P.S. Is this a 56 15hp fastwin

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: serial# 15016 evinrude fastwin?

It should not cause a loss of spark.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

First determine why it wont move. Is it the tiller handle, throttle tower, armature plate, etc..

Ignition components, cannot be tested visually. Usually , if the coils are not cracked, they are ok. THe points will need to be dressed, cleaned and set to 020. If youcannot test the condensors, change them. Plug wires have continuity?

hometech210

Cadet

Thanks for the response guys. Coincidently I found my old thread originally posted for this engine on aug. 29 2013. I guess it hasn't been as long as i thought, but on that thread i posted some pictures of the points, coils, etc under#15016. Originally i had set points to 020 and coils looked good but didn't get spark.
I guess its the tiller handle assembly that is froze, so I disconnected it just past where the two gears meet and things started moving. I really need manual to properly identify parts. Sorry fellas for the unfamiliarity and proper terms. My Bad! Earlier I saw a video on how to test coils with a simple volt meter. Is that a good way to test to see if they are good? Thanks again.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That will test for an alright failure. Will not test a coil under load. You will need a Mercotronic or Stevens tester for that, which you wont have. If it fails the continuity test though, it is most definitely not good.

Usual issue here is dirty points, even when new. Clean, and dress extremely well.