86' Johnson 70 trim sender questions

sickboy

Cadet
I am looking for some ohm information about what my sender should be showing. The manual says 1ohm up and 88 down.

However I checked it right at the senders connecter under the motor Couling and I got 2.2 ohms up and 125.1 ohms down.

I don't know if the senders bad, or possibly been from a different motor with different specs??? I would like to believe the book is correct but it was wrong about something else so now I have questions.

Last edited:

sickboy

Cadet
Re: 86' Johnson 70 trim sender questions

I can't seem to find a p/n for the sender either.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Trim sender, part # 395839. Why are you working on it ??

sickboy

Cadet

Thank you.

I built a new dash a few weeks back and all new gauges. I ordered the correct gauge from Faria however it wasn't functioning properly. A few emails back and fourth along with some trouble shooting has got me down to the sender.

Because of the ohm difference the gauge reads as follows:

Motor 100% down, gauge reads 100%down

Motor 90% down, gauge reads 50%down

Motor 80% down, gauge reads 100%up

After all this work I've done I just want it to work at least CLOSE to being right.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I worked on my 1989 60hp trim sender, I measured out the following ohms readings:

TrimSender.jpg

sickboy

Cadet

Thank you for sharing that. I will definatly give it a shot.

Anyhow the rep from Farina is convinced that the difference in my sender wouldn't throw the new guage out that much. So he's sending me out another new one.

I will post back when I know more.

sickboy

Cadet

I actually used your information and adjusted the sender. I didn't know they were adjustable. Anyhow it's still far from perfect however I made a massive amount of improvement.

Shot some videos so you can see how much delay I'm dealing with but you can't hear the pump running in the video.
Anyhow.... When the trim is 100% down, it takes 7 seconds while trimming up before the needle moves on the guage.

When the motor is at the top of the trim stage (not lift) it takes 5 seconds of lowering the motor before the needle moves.