1967' 100hp johnson was working but just died

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice
1967' 100 hp johnson (V4TL-13A) just replaced shift wire/cable, oil retainers. water pump. Had boat running off a hose in the front yard. Everything was working great. First start in over a year so I decided to let it run till it was warm. About 5 minutes into warming it up it just died. Motor isnt hot or over heated, the ignition light comes on with the key, and I can here the choke engage with the switch, but it will not even turn over. Battery had a full charge when I started. I tested it after it died I still had 13v. Any advice were/how to proceed to find my issue/s. Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967' 100hp johnson was working but just died

See if you can turn the flywheel by hand. Maybe motor seized?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Are you saying that it will not crank with the starter or the motor will not start !--------If there are major problems with the ignition ( spark ) system then it is relatively easy to fit a 1966 model ignition system on it.----Cheaper and easier to maintain components.-------Try using a set of booster cables directly to the starter to see if it will crank over.

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice

Flywheel turns just fine, I dont think it seized, it never even got warm. It will not turn over with the starter. Doesn't even try to turn over. Even after sitting for a long period of time it started right up and sounded great. I just wanted to run it and burn the old gas out. Only ran it a few minutes and the whole thing shut down. Not sure if it's possible a wire came loose somewere or a bad fuse. I recently installed a new shift cable and water empeller, but can't imagine either has to do with my new problem.

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice

Raceone, you've had great advice for my last couple of problems. Any advise were to start my diagnosis? What's involved in converting the ignition system ? Thanks again

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Is there a switch on the throttle linkage at the distributor that prevents it from cranking ?-Look to see if there is.------------Have you tried pulling the throttle back to slow idle ??

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the battery cable connections on both the battery and the motor. Then go for the fuses.

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice

So after looking it over. There is a switch on top of the linkage. It was missing a screw so it was able to slide around on the linkage. Replaced screw and all is working great again!! Thanks everyone for your input !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Some outboard " issues " are so easy to repair.