selectric shift internal roller and operation

tabbscreek

Cadet
I have a 1964 Evinrude Lark VI with a 3 button 3 wire selectric shift. I am restoring the boat and now putting the shift assembly together. The cable is not hooked up yet. The lever moves freely until the white roller (#29 on the schematic) engages a small raised arc on the housing. It takes what I think is a great deal of force to push the lever forward from that point as the roller has to "jump" onto the raised arc. At that point the detent engages the ribbed arc on the lever and there is a loud sound, still not real easy to push the lever forward even with the throttle spring adjustment pretty loose.

Does anyone know how the shift assemble should normally work? Thank you

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: selectric shift internal roller and operation

Could you post a pic of the control box with the cover removed ??

tabbscreek

Cadet
Re: selectric shift internal roller and operation

selectric shift 1.jpgselectric shift 2.jpg2 pictures are attached. With lever pulled back and pushing to almost vertical it travels free as the roller does not engage the raised arc. At that point it takes real effort to get the roller to jump to the top of the arc. Even when the roller is on the arc the travel on the detent as you push the lever forward seem very rigid. Should this be a smooth operation or is this normal? thank you

Last edited: