1977 johnson 85hp

jdw

Cadet
What is wrong with my lower unit when I take off it feels like I hit a stump, and what are my options on fixing it. I dont know if my other post have gone thru on this same question. Thanks for any info on this otherwise motor runs like a new one.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1977 johnson 85hp

Could be worn clutch dog/forward gear.
Have you had LU off lately?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

no, how hard is it to replace ?

Dont know, ever done it on that motor. They generally are not that complicated, but can be difficult to get things undone if its a saltwater motor.
If you are capable of doing an oil change on your car then you should give it a go unless you want to pay someone to do it

jdw

Cadet

no the motor has never been in salt water guess when it gets bad i will try to repair it myself.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

It may get bad in one big boom, thatd be hard to fix,
You have now got a handy warning before anything breaks off and sticks in where it shouldnt

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I completely agree with Bosunmate. You've got enough stuff going on down there screaming "FIX ME NOW OR ELSE". The only other thing I recommend checking is make sure that your idle speed is in the proper range. If not, it'll sound like you hit a tree with a nice loud clunk! If your idle speed is correct, get in there and see what's going on. You may only have to replace a part or 2 and a couple of seals versus an entire unit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you're going to do the work on the L/U yourself I'd highly recommend you get an OMC factory service manual. That L/U is rather different than the run of the mill ones.

jdw

Cadet

Thanks guys for your response I will try to get a manual and get on it I just replaced the slipper springs on the trailer, so if you have and old dilly trailer going on 37 yrs please check your springs mine broke going down interstate and came close to doing alot of damage to my boat but I got lucky, so I will take yalls advice and get on the johnson before it blows the lower unit, Thanks again.