How to Test a Coil with a Multimeter - Evinrude 6hp 1976

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I watched the video from CajunCookOne which was excellent.

Evinrude Gale and Johnson ignition video part 1 of 7 - YouTube
Evinrude Gale and Johnson ignition video part 1 of 7 - YouTube

It breaks everything down clearly but I purchased a couple of new coils and decided to test one using the method he demonstrated. I tested the primary winding by using an Ohmmeter from the Red wire to the Black Ground wire and showed continuity. I then tested the secondary winding by going from the Black ground wire to the pin where the spark plug wire will be attached. There is no sign of continuity.

It looks from your video like there should be a slight reading at least. I believe you got a reading of 5. I am getting nothing. Am I doing this test correctly ? This is a brand new coil. Is it just bad or am I doing this wrong ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to Test a Coil with a Multimeter - Evinrude 6hp 1976

(Regular Magneto Coils - Continuity Test)
(J. Reeves)

Checking the continuity of the ignition coils....... Have the ohm meter set to High Ohms. (HIGH OHMS!)

Remove the primary wire from points. Remove the coil ground wire. You do not want either of these wires touching anything.
Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground wire of the coil.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the primary wire. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire.

If there is no continuity between the secondary circuit (spark plug) wire and the primary or ground, remove the coil from the armature plate, then check the continuity directly between the prong within the coil (prong that the plug wire connects to) and the primary and ground. Poor or no continuity of a coil (or plug wire) is one reason for weak spark, s/plug fouling, or no spark.

AlTn

Commander

I tested a new coil awhile back and got 1.3 Ohms blk to grn wire...4.66K ohms either wire to spike <pin>...this was with an autoranging multimeter set to measure resistance <ohms>

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I agree with all the ohm checks for the coil but the only truly way to check a coil is on a load tester.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The really only thing you can check on a coil with a DVM or volt/ohm meter is to verify it is not shorted or open on both the primary and secondary winding. It still can be shorting across the winding with high voltages or shorting to ground internally with jumping the winding in use. So even a coil reading continuity, there is no way with a simple DVM or multi-meter to verify it is operating properly. The reading will eliminate shorted or open coils and that's about it.