1985 Evinrude 115 hp v4 stalls

Thord_one

Cadet
My 1985 Evinrude 115 hp v4 was running perfect... Then one day the motor started to
stall/fall on its face at 8 mph... I can run the the boat all day long under 8 mph after
that the boat stalls... it keeps running as I throtte down and runs great under
8 mph.... I replaced all the full lines... and the full pump... and the full tanks... and
the the primer bulb... I pulled the bowl screws one @ a time and squeezed the bulb"
the full drips out! Is that corect? I do not wish to pull the carbs if I don't have to.
Please if anyone has an answer please reply thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Evinrude 115 hp v4 stalls

OK so you have a nice " looking " motor.----The fact is that many of these motors suffered from broken piston rings.----That first shows up as stalling at low throttle.-------Start with a compression test !!-----If that is OK then the next test is to see if spark will jump a gap of 7/16" or more, not just the gap of the plugs laying on the block.----Report the findings if you like.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Is your primer bulb holding firm with engine off?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If the compression is good and the spark jumps the proper air gap, you might want to check the high speed orifices in the carbs to see if they are restricted or plugged.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It's unlikely that the carbs suddenly became fuel-restricted. You may have a problem in the ignition system. The engine may not be firing on all 4 cyls. Ignition components can fail abruptly. That engine may sound just fine when running on the trailer with only 2 or 3 cyls firing. You need all 4 firing when it's in the water and in gear... When you have problems with the engine again, (and the engine is well warmed up) put a timing light lead on each plugwire and check for spark in the flashes from the gun. The spark is easy to check/validate-a cheap, quick and easy test. If that's not it, then spend the rest of your time on the fuel system issues.

Thord_one

Cadet

Thank you all...
The Boat is always in the water,
When I sed that the boat stalls! I should have sed... The boat starts perfectly...
Also the boat will start to plain out around 8 mph, it gets on it" and for a few
seconds halls A../ plains out
then falls on its face; if I throttle back down fast it comes back to life and runnes
fine @ 8 mph.
The first thing I checked was the ignition...
the second thing I checked was all 4 plugs and the compression...
the pluges are working fine and then I checked the compression, it
was 110 per cylinder... So to recap thins I did.... (1 Changed all the gas lines)
(2 Changed the fuel pump)(3 Changed the primer bulb)(4 Removed the bowl screws
one @ a time and squeezed the baulb and a very small amount fule came out)
(5 checked the ignition by pulling each plug wire and on every cylinder it runs ruff and
then runs fine as I reconnect the plug wire)
(I ran the motor @ night to check for arking anyware (none)
this is why I am asking for help.
Again thank you all.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

OK -----Have you tried a new propeller ?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Good tests for spark. On to other things: When the engine falls on it's face, have a friend constantly prime the fuel hose bulb. This will force extra fuel into the carb bowls. If it runs ok at WOT, as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb-I'd be looking for a fuel restriction. Could be debris in one of the carb high speed jets, could be a faulty anti-siphon valve in the built in tank, bad fuel hose, etc. I've seen black bits of hose break away and migrate down into a jet, causing the problem you mention. Not sure if the 85 hoses were capable of handling today's ethanol fuels or not. I know my 79 hoses were not. By 86, the hoses were rated for 10% ethanol. If they are not ethanol rated, the innards of the hoses can dissolve and loose bits of black hose can migrate as I noted.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Pull the front cover on the carbs, when it stumbles, spray some fuel mixture into the carb throats. If it picks up, you have a fuel problem in the carbs.

Thord_one

Cadet

Good tests for spark. On to other things: When the engine falls on it's face, have a friend constantly prime the fuel hose bulb. This will force extra fuel into the carb bowls. If it runs ok at WOT, as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb-I'd be looking for a fuel restriction. Could be debris in one of the carb high speed jets, could be a faulty anti-siphon valve in the built in tank, bad fuel hose, etc. I've seen black bits of hose break away and migrate down into a jet, causing the problem you mention. Not sure if the 85 hoses were capable of handling today's ethanol fuels or not. I know my 79 hoses were not. By 86, the hoses were rated for 10% ethanol. If they are not ethanol rated, the innards of the hoses can dissolve and loose bits of black hose can migrate as I noted.

You Are The Man!!!!
Thank you" priming the fuel bulb brought the motor back to life every time,...
so what does that meen?? do I need to pull the bowls and clean the jets,...
What do you recommend??
Again thank you.

Thord_one

Cadet

Thank you (emdsapmgr)
You have hit the nail on the head.
I took my wife with me on a ride and I had her pilot the boat, and I
used your suggestion to work the primer bulb as the motor tried to fall
on its face again... It worked! the boat came back to life!... I had her throttle
up the boat and it got back to its old self... got up to 45 mph... what a relief.
Again thank you good idea.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Agree, fuel pump most likely culprit.

Thord_one

Cadet

Thank you but Thats the one of the first things I did.... are you saying
the new fuel pump is bad?

Thord_one

Cadet

Thank you... Wow the new fuel pump is bad?
could I have put the fuel pump on wrong it seemed
very easy.
guess I will buy an other one.
Thank you again.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I missed the fact that the pump was new. I would not expect a new pump to be bad. If the old pump and the new pump both do the same thing, then you need to look for another problem. Your testing is valid and shows that you've got a fuel delivery problem-maybe not related to the pump itself. You could have a few grains of sand in the ball valve inside the anti-siphon valve-causing it to stick-restricting fuel flow. Also, it's not unusual for the ball valves in the fuel hose to go bad. Odd tho it may seem, try orienting the fuel bulb so that the arrow on the side is facing upward. (I've seen hose bulbs laying in the splashwells oriented downward, causing a problem.) Also possible that the plastic fuel pickup inside the tank get loose at the head-inside the tank. If they loosen with age, they can suck enough air such that the pump can't keep up at higher throttle positions.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try a portable fuel tank hooked to your line to see if it runs properly. If it does your fuel pump is ok and it is something in the lines, pickups or vents. I agree if it is a new fuel pump that is not likely the problem. Also try to clamp the fuel line directly to the motor and not using the quick connect. These can start leaking and draw in air at higher rpms. I should have read your post more thoroughly before recommending another fuel pump.

Thord_one

Cadet

Thank you so much for your help I have ran out of things to try...
This is the most resent tests
I did try a portable fuel tank... The motor did act different,
one thing different squeezing the
primer baulb did not bring the speed back up.... As I stated previously
I did (Replace the Fuel
Tanks) The older tanks were vented the new tanks are (Zero Emission Fuel Tanks)....
(Tanks Have No Vents) (I did try removing the caps to vent the tanks)
it made no difference.
So is there something that could have gotten damaged from the Negitive pressure
inside the carbs.
-----------
This is the original tests
The Boat is always in the water,
When I sed that the boat stalls! I should have sed... The boat starts perfectly...
Also the boat will start to plain out around 8 mph, it gets on it" and for a few
seconds halls A../ plains out
then falls on its face; if I throttle back down fast it comes back to life and runnes
fine @ 8 mph.
The first thing I checked was the ignition...
the second thing I checked was all 4 plugs and the compression...
the pluges are working fine and then I checked the compression, it
was 110 per cylinder... So to recap thins I did.... (1 Changed all the gas lines)
(2 Changed the fuel pump)(3 Changed the primer bulb)(4 Removed the bowl screws
one @ a time and squeezed the baulb and a very small amount fule came out)
(5 checked the ignition by pulling each plug wire and on every cylinder it runs ruff and
then runs fine as I reconnect the plug wire)
(I ran the motor @ night to check for arking anyware (none)
Again thank you

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You say a little fuel comes out, it should drain out quite quickly

Thord_one

Cadet

Thank you for your reply
Yes only a drizzle comes out of the bowl, even when I squeeze the primer bulb...
makes no difference.