1971 Johnson 125 electric shift no neutral after rebuild

brickster

Seaman
Dissasembled gearcase, new pump, new clutch dog, new seals, checked solenoids- 5.5 ohms, plunger slightly below top of solenoid, proper voltage to solenoid leads, N-power green, D- no power, R- power green and blue, new type C oil, still can't find neutral, have only tested on a hose. If reverse is working, shouldn't both solenoids be functioning properly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreceated. This project motor has been in the works since last summer, Thanks for all the great advice that has kept me pushing forward.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Johnson 125 electric shift no neutral after rebuild

Gearcase can be tested on the work bench !!--------Put battery negative to the gearcase and + to green wire.----If all is working as it should it will shift to nuetral after about one brisk turn of the driiveshaft.------So I guess you will have to revisit your lower unit work !

brickster

Seaman

Live and learn, should have tested it before instalation. Good thing is i will be getting faster at this my third trip there. Thanks Racerone for all your input thru-out this project.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps pull the solenoids out before draining the oil.---------Poke a long wire / wires in there to operate the valves while an assistant turns the driveshaft.---Will help you determine if it is an electrical / solenoid problem or a mechanical problem !

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Have you tested the shift switch to see if it applies 12 volts to green for nuetral ???

brickster

Seaman

I have the proper voltage to green for neutral, I thought i would remove lower unit and test on a bench with power to green and a brisk turn, if no results i would recheck plunger height as they were slightly below flush and bench test again. Doesn't it seem odd that i get reverse in which both solenoids must operate properly? and finally if no results try the wire method, hate to think a new pump and seal meticulously installed could not be functioning.