1964 Johnson 40 hp outboard dirty ignition plate assembly

johnlazelle

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I have ordered new coils, points, condenser and spark plug wires for my old Johnson and so i took the flywheel off to get to the parts and it is really black and sooty in their! Same type of material you would find on a fouled spark plug?

What would be the cause of this? I did have a float problem in my carb that was causing fuel to run out the carb.

Before i replace all the parts, just wondering if there is something else i should look at?

Thanks,
John

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Johnson 40 hp outboard dirty ignition plate assembly

You need to replace the upper crankshaft seal !!!

johnlazelle

Seaman Apprentice

Yuck, is that a hard job?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

No " yuck " at all.-------Most regognized repair shops would have a factory tool that would remove the seal in a matter of minutes for you.---Time to call a few and ask if they still have the tool and someone that knows how to do this simple job.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've pulled that seal out with the proper picks and installed the new seal with a piece of the correct size pipe.

johnlazelle

Seaman Apprentice

How about removing and installing a new roller bearing? Does that also require special tools?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
For those who can work on these motors themselves they are excellent motors.---If you have to find a dealer to fix even the minor things then these motors are an expensive headache.