1987 Evinrude 140 won't shut off with key

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up a new boat a few weeks ago and am addressing the issues one at a time. Today's issue is that it won't shut off when I turn the key off. But if I pull the lanyard it will shut off. I've read many similar posts, where even the pulling the lanyard doesn't work. Should I still be looking at the blk/yellow wire???

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Evinrude 140 won't shut off with key

I can't help with color code but I believe the M connection on the key switch shorts the mag wires essentially the same as the kill switch.
the contact in the switch may be bad or the connections loose or corroded.
Someone with more specific info may be along.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I would guess that since the lanyard shuts it off, the circuitry from the motor is good. That leaves the ignition switch. Be careful messing around in there, ANY voltage applied to the black/yellow wire can kill the power pack.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll be sure to disconnect the battery first before I poke around in the controls.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't been able to get out and work on the boat due to the non stop rain over the last two days, but I did get to do a bit of research. From what I've read in similar posts about no shut off.... If I jump out the yellow/black and the black on the ignition switch it should kill the motor. If it does then it is in the switch. If not it is in the wiring .