1972 Evinrude 2hp fuel tank removal?

aswadamson

Cadet
Hello everyone!

I have an almost new 1972 2hp with a rusty fuel tank and I need to remove it to get cleaned/sealed. However after undoing all the bolts it does not fit past the spark plug assembly which I then also removed and it still does not slide past the rest of the engine. Is there a trick I am not aware of as I have no idea how to remove it without taking apart the whole engine.

Thanks,

Steve

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Evinrude 2hp fuel tank removal?

4 bolts and starter housing is out of the way.

aswadamson

Cadet

I was wondering about the housing and tried to remove top screw but is super tight and almost stripped, so did not want to push it and ruin the screw? Any suggestions to help loosen the screw, so I can actually remove it?

thanks!

kbait

Commander

If you're referring to the phillips screw on top of recoil.. do not remove it! It's not a cover mounting, it's holding the recoil together. There are 4 bolts underneath that you remove to remove recoil housing..

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are 4 bolts underneath the frame and cover which you must remove to remove the cover itself. Do not remove the screw on top of the cover as it holds the starter spring in place (boing). There are two more screws under the frame which hold the frame to the powerhead...remove those. It is kind of confusing as there are a total of 8 similar-looking bolts under the frame. If you remove all 8, no harm is done. Then the frame and tank should be able to be lifted off. Be careful to pull the choke lever out of the front of the frame so it does not break off. There are two brackets with bolts underside the gas tank which when removed will allow the tank to be removed from the frame.

aswadamson

Cadet

There are 4 bolts underneath the frame and cover which you must remove to remove the cover itself. Do not remove the screw on top of the cover as it holds the starter spring in place (boing). There are two more screws under the frame which hold the frame to the powerhead...remove those. It is kind of confusing as there are a total of 8 similar-looking bolts under the frame. If you remove all 8, no harm is done. Then the frame and tank should be able to be lifted off. Be careful to pull the choke lever out of the front of the frame so it does not break off. There are two brackets with bolts underside the gas tank which when removed will allow the tank to be removed from the frame.

--- I did all that and the tank does not come out as it can only come out from underneath but the engine is in the way?

Help!???

racerone

Supreme Mariner

No------------- the recoil assembly is held on with 4 bolts and then it is out of the way !-------Look careully as this is very obvious.