Ignition Problem On 130hp Johnson

Wilbur110

Recruit
I have a johnson 130hp 1997 model. Will not start from key. Have replaced the starter wire to the solenoid and put in new batts and power leads. Worked for about 10 starts and now nothing at all. I have even bypassed the neutral switch and it made no difference. I can jump it from the solenoid with no probs. I have also replaced the power lead from the fuse under the solenoid to the ignition switch. I have power at key and all gauges work, solenoid and choke engage rom key also.

Thanks Will

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ignition Problem On 130hp Johnson

So it cranks, but won't start? There may be a wire from the yellow/red wire on the solenoid to the powerpack. That provides voltage to the powerpack, while cranking. You should check your motor against an accurate wiring diaghram, and see if you are supposed to have it, and if so check it's condition.

Did you check for spark at the plug wires?

Wilbur110

Recruit

No, should have worded that a little better, does not crank from the key,powers up fine but when turned to start it does nothing. I can choke it from the key and then go and start by jumping of the solenoid.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked for voltage at the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You replaced the wire from the solenoid to the ign switch, and she still won't crank? Maybe your ign switch is bad?

Wilbur110

Recruit

I am swinging towards the ignition myself, I have tested everything on the engine and it is all testing fine according to the Johnson/Evinrude specs that i have downloaded.

Fed

Commander

when turned to start it does nothing
Not even a click noise from the solenoid?

Key switch not closing between the B & S terminals in the start position. (Not likely)
Neutral lockout switch not closed. (Wriggle the shifter while holding the key in the start position)
Faulty solenoid. (Put a voltmeter across the 2 small solenoid terminals & hit start, what do you get)
Bad connections on the small solenoid terminals. (as above)
Bad ground connection to the negative side of the solenoid coil. (as above)

You should be able to diagnose the problem without pulling anything apart at all.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Engine won't start if it isn't in neutral.

Wilbur110

Recruit

No, no click from the solenoid, have tested terminals as you have suggested and had 12v every where that I should have it. Solenoid is only about 8 months old also. Neutral switch is bypassed at the moment and there is no kill switch fitted to it. Batteries are new as are the pos and neg cables. If the solenoid was the issue i wouldn't have thought it would let me jump across it, when i do this the engine fires pretty quick.
Cheers

Fed

Commander

If you have 12 Volts across the 2 small terminals on the solenoid and it doesn't activate (click) then the solenoid is faulty.
Was the solenoid that you replaced the correct one?

If the solenoid was the issue i wouldn't have thought it would let me jump across it, when i do this the engine fires pretty quick.
Jumping across the 2 large terminals and starting is exactly what you'd expect but if you ran a jump wire from the large terminal (battery side) to the small terminal (key side) and it worked then what you said in the quote below is not correct.
No, no click from the solenoid, have tested terminals as you have suggested and had 12v every where that I should have it.

Wilbur110

Recruit

ok, so I have tried jumping from the large terminal (batt Side) to the small Terminal that the start wire runs to and got nothing at all,this was not a test i had done previously. have noticed a small crack behind the small terminal. Can these solenoids be pulled apart to look at the internals or not. The new start wire runs directly from the start terminal on the key to the small terminal on the right hand side at the front of the terminal. the new power lead runs from the key straight to the fuse under the solenoid. I put these in one at a time as I took the old ones out. The solenoid I replaced with was purchased from OMC mechanic and looked the same as the one i took out that was burnt out.

Fed

Commander

If you have 12 Volts across the 2 small terminals on the solenoid and it doesn't activate (click) then the solenoid is faulty.
Then it is time to buy a new one.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If the solenoid does not click when you apply 12 volts to the small terminal when you turn the key, and the other small terminal has a good ground, you have a defective solenoid.
I know you said you bypassed the safty switch, but use a jumper wire from the small ground terminal to a good ground on the block, maybe you have a broken wire in the harness.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Presumably you jumpered from the battery cable side of the solenoid to the small terminal with the yellow/red wire, right?