1990 40hp johnson won't shift into forward or reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotterman

Cadet
So I have a 1990 40hp johnson that I just replaced the lower unit oil. There was a little bit of water in there and the oil was dirty(no metal shavings though). The engine runs great but will now not engage into forward or reverse. Maybe something came loose at the control box? I checked under the carb and the linkage is connected there. The shifter seems too easy to move when trying to go into gear. When I put it in forward or reverse it just revs up..please help!! Thank you!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 40hp johnson won't shift into forward or reverse

What screws did you take out when changing the oil?----Pictures will help.

scotterman

Cadet

There's a bottom screw and a top screw to change the lower oil. Not sure what that would have to do with it though.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Well, folks sometimes take out the wrong screw when changing the oil.-----It is the pivot pin for the shift that you may have removed.----Were both screws exactly the same ?------If it shifted fine before the oil change then something is wrong here.

scotterman

Cadet

I think I may have found it...where the shift cable connects to the throttle box, there is a black plastic piece that holds the cable in place and it looks like it broke...are those able to be replaced?

scotterman

Cadet

Does anyone know if that black piece can be replaced or superglued? It broke in half.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Sundee, Please don't Hi-Jack a thread. Read the rules at the top of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.