1975 EVINRUDE 115 Idle Adjustment

crestlinermusky

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1975 Evinrude 115 hp that runs like a top
Took it out of winter storage today, started right up
I noticed that her idle was a little fast, so I adjusted the throttle cable at the motor using the threaded adjuster but
I notice that when I pull the linkage on the carburator a little lower the motor seems to idle fine.
I just need to know what part of the carb linkage to adjust. I don't want to screw up how my motor runs.

Mark

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 EVINRUDE 115 Idle Adjustment

There is a large screw on the spark advance lever of the engine. That controls the idle. If the control cable is slightly out of adjustment, it can hang up and cause a high idle. Probably best to take the throttle cable off at the engine end. Set the idle: That will entail floating the boat in the water and putting it into forward gear. Set the rpm's to 650-700. Once it idles normally in the water, then match the throttle cable back up to the screw post (some slight adjustment may be necessary) and replace the nut. You can't set the idle on the trailer. FYI, as you are setting the idle-you actually are adjusting the idle timing-has nothing to do with any carb setting.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Would this procedure also work on a 1977 70hp Evinrude?

There is a large screw on the spark advance lever of the engine. That controls the idle. If the control cable is slightly out of adjustment, it can hang up and cause a high idle. Probably best to take the throttle cable off at the engine end. Set the idle: That will entail floating the boat in the water and putting it into forward gear. Set the rpm's to 650-700. Once it idles normally in the water, then match the throttle cable back up to the screw post (some slight adjustment may be necessary) and replace the nut. You can't set the idle on the trailer. FYI, as you are setting the idle-you actually are adjusting the idle timing-has nothing to do with any carb setting.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Yes, though those 3 cyls are not good idlers. You may want to set the idle rpm's slightly higher.