1994 Johnson 50hp ignition failure

ElMico

Recruit
Hi to all you gurus!! I have a 50TLERE johnson outboard. It makes me crazy. I have a spark on both cylinders, but both comes too late... I have checked a wedge between flywheel and shaft. It was the first thing i thought could be wrong, but no!! When i rotate upper piston to highest point, then my flywheel is in correct position, and same when i rotate second cylinder to highest point. When i try to start and check with timing lamp, spark comes about 45degrees late. weird... Outboard made some troubles when i was driving with my boat. At first it works really nice, but when i put full throttle at third time and get some speed, outboard didn't had any power left... i just got to shore really slow. When i got to shore, motor stopped and now we are still at the same way...That driving last about three minutes, so it didn't get even hot yet. Last owner of that outboard had changed a new power pack to motor, and i haven't drive it more than 2 hours... I think, it has to be that power pack again, but now i'm wondering what can cause that power pack failure?? I think those should last little bit more than 2 hours. I don't want to buy many cdi boxes just to test it... Please guys! if you have tips for me, i would be very thankful!!

-Mikko from Finland

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Johnson 50hp ignition failure

Did you remove the flywheel to check the key / wedge ??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the flywheel key isn't sheared you could have a bad new pack that went ape.

Wkd179

Seaman Apprentice

Spark plugs must be champion!
while flywheel removed check center hub for signs that it has spun

ElMico

Recruit

Did you remove the flywheel to check the key / wedge ??

Yep, i checked that key/wedge at first, but it's fine! Like i said, if i rotate motor from flywheel and put upper piston at the highest point, everything is in markings in flywheel. But still my ignition comes late when i start it with electronic start. I think it has to be that power pack what went bad again.

Now, if someone have a good reason what causes power pack's failure, i would be like to hear it... I would like to repair some problems, before it brokes more packs...

Thanks again!!

-Mikko

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Time to stop blaming the powerpack !---- Those things will last for years and years.-----Did you look at the magnets on the flywheel hub ??---Can you post a detailed picture of the magnet /joint on the magnet relative to the key ?----Have you done a compression test ?----Is there a thermostat installed in the motor ?------With timing at 45 degrees late the motor would hardly run !------Stop your focus on the powerpack, likely there is another problem.----Report results of a compression test.