74 Johnson 9.9 leaking oil

Jimbo876

Cadet
I put all new seals in the gearbox and put a new impeller in and now I have a leak from the top end of the lower unit. When running I can see a little bit of oil slowly running out where the lower unit meets the housing. I can't figure this one out, anybody have the same experience with this motor?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 74 Johnson 9.9 leaking oil

Does it have a gas smell to it, if so don't worry about it.

Jimbo876

Cadet

I haven't smelled it, it is at my shop so I will check that out tomorrow. I assumed it was gear oil because of the location, and it is kind of milky white. I never put in in gear, just ran it in neutral for a couple minutes and noticed it right away.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

This oil leaking is fairly normal on a 2 stroke after idling even more so.---Did you replace shift rod o-ring ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have it pressure and vacuum checked. This should be done after every re-seal job.

Jimbo876

Cadet

I don't think I can pressure test it. The drive shaft is frozen in the head, so when I pull the lower unit the drive shaft stays in the head.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

????----------------How did you put " all new seals " in it , if driveshaft is stuck in the powerhead ?---How did you reassemble it ??-----------Would have been much easier to pull the shaft out of the crankshaft !!!

Jimbo876

Cadet

Lol. When I initially dropped the lower unit, the key on drive shaft just pulled through the collar. I had the motor upside down hanging from the shaft in a vise for two weeks trying to get the damn thing out of there. Finally just said screw it. When putting the lower unit back on I just had a friend slowly pull the start cord and once the key lined up to where it initially pulled through the collar it slipped right on.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can still pressure test it if it's all together.

Jimbo876

Cadet

Yeah, I guess so... just wont be able to see what seal the leak is from if there is one. I will mess with it and let you know what I find

Jimbo876

Cadet

Just thinking about it, it seams weird that it would be the gear lube because it leaks in neutral right? I mean, if it leaked when I had it in gear that would be a no brainer.