1990 Evinrude 200 hp, water pump & thermostats changed out, not peeing!! No pressure!

rebranger

Cadet
1990 Evinrude 200 hp, water pump & thermostats changed out, not peeing!! No pressure!

I just changed out my water pump with a complete kit, housing, etc. & replaced the thermostats. The water pressure on the old pump ran about 10 psi @ WOT, & occasionally the temp alarm would beep, so in order to be safe, I changed it out.
NOW, no water pressure or pee stream. Flushed all lines, old impeller was in good shape, no broken vanes, etc. no salt water running, blew out all passages, checked flow of by-pass & pee lines. Can't even get a stream with ear muffs on at 40 psi!!.
I must have missed the hole when lining up the foot!! Does anyone have any tricks, short cuts or suggestions how I can fix this "issue"?? i.e., having no help, have to lift foot my self, tried using a floor jack, helped some. Anybody got any drawings of a stand. On another thread, somebody mentioned building a holder out of 2x6's..
The toughest thing to getting it back together was lining up the shift rod coupler under the carbs!! The foot seemed to slip right on, Duh, go figure??:blue:

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 Evinrude 200 hp, water pump & thermostats changed out, not peeing!! No press

Re: 1990 Evinrude 200 hp, water pump & thermostats changed out, not peeing!! No press

I used a small vice and c clamped it to the floor jack then held the lower unit fin firmly with the vise as I put it into place im sure theres a easier more affordable way but that's what I had to work with and it worked pretty well

rebranger

Cadet

I used a small vice and c clamped it to the floor jack then held the lower unit fin firmly with the vise as I put it into place im sure theres a easier more affordable way but that's what I had to work with and it worked pretty well

That's a great idea. Only I don't have a vise handy at this shop!
ANyway, I tore it down AGAIN, and I had missed the impeller key which was stuck in the outlet gap!
Note to Self:
Next time, put the impeller on the shaft with the key in place in place, THEN put the pump housing on. Under the supervision & assistance from a "certified" (he spent a year in the ITT "outboard school" in Florida), he insisted on putting the impeller in the cup & trying to align the key by sliding the pump housing assembly down the shaft. That method may work for some, particularly smaller motors where the impeller is not so big & stiff, but the impeller blades are so stiff, it's off center in the cup.
On the advice of a country boy shade tree mechanic, I put the impeller on the shaft, with the key in place, then turned the prop to get the blades in the cup properly. I used a 5" hose clamp to compress the blades in the correct direction, making sure key was still in place. Finally got the cup to go down after several trys!!
Before I took it to the Lake again, I put the ear muffs on it & fired her up. Guess what ? It's peeing, but only after the new thermostats open. Used a infra red heat gauge to measure head temp & it wouldn't pee until heads reached about 165 F, ran it about 10 minutes on the muffs (ample water volume & pressure), & the dash gauge finally got up to about
5 #'s. DANG! It was better than that before!! Head temp on the top heads was about 180 - 190 F, a little higher at the block base. BUT, the buzzer never sounded.. I thought 190 was the threshold?? Any body know what the threshold is for the alarm to sound>>
I'm about to give up & take it to a real shop!
Thank ya'll in advance..
Please help!!
I have a factory manual, but can't find the "factory specs" for water pressure. Anybody know what it's supposed to be?

blades

rebranger

Cadet

Found this on the forum:

recheck the poppet valve, did you remove the grommet and clean the casting of all corrosion. the poppet valve controls the water pressure and if it sticks open it will over heat at low speeds. A previous post from someone with a similar motor to yours, a V6, said he got 18-20psi at Wfo or 5800-6000 rpm.This is on the water, moving, not on the hose. On the hose at idle, 6-8psi.

WHERE IS THE POPPET VALVE?

rebranger

Cadet

That's a great idea. Only I don't have a vise handy at this shop!
ANyway, I tore it down AGAIN, and I had missed the impeller key which was stuck in the outlet gap!
Note to Self:
Next time, put the impeller on the shaft with the key in place in place, THEN put the pump housing on. Under the supervision & assistance from a "certified" (he spent a year in the ITT "outboard school" in Florida), he insisted on putting the impeller in the cup & trying to align the key by sliding the pump housing assembly down the shaft. That method may work for some, particularly smaller motors where the impeller is not so big & stiff, but the impeller blades are so stiff, it's off center in the cup.
On the advice of a country boy shade tree mechanic, I put the impeller on the shaft, with the key in place, then turned the prop to get the blades in the cup properly. I used a 5" hose clamp to compress the blades in the correct direction, making sure key was still in place. Finally got the cup to go down after several trys!!
Before I took it to the Lake again, I put the ear muffs on it & fired her up. Guess what ? It's peeing, but only after the new thermostats open. Used a infra red heat gauge to measure head temp & it wouldn't pee until heads reached about 165 F, ran it about 10 minutes on the muffs (ample water volume & pressure), & the dash gauge finally got up to about
5 #'s. DANG! It was better than that before!! Head temp on the top heads was about 180 - 190 F, a little higher at the block base. BUT, the buzzer never sounded.. I thought 190 was the threshold?? Any body know what the threshold is for the alarm to sound>>
I'm about to give up & take it to a real shop!
Thank ya'll in advance..
Please help!!
I have a factory manual, but can't find the "factory specs" for water pressure. Anybody know what it's supposed to be?

blades