1990 Johnson 60 HP outboard will not restart after use

Ceward

Recruit
I have a 1990 60 HP Johnson outboard that will start quickly when cold and then maybe a couple times during use. When I try again it will not fire for maybe 30-60 minutes. It will start as if it wasn't flooded or had a problem. Could this be a
coil?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Johnson 60 HP outboard will not restart after use

Have a spark plug wrench and a spark tester on board. When this problem pops up, remove the plugs and hook up the spark tester. The spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP!

If no spark or a weak spark, I would suspect the stator under the flywheel which is the beginning of the ignition system. If overheated, there will be a voltage drop to the powerpack capacitor which results in weak or no ignition/spark. Usually this is accompanied by a tell tale sign of the stator having a sticky looking substance dripping down on the powerhead (look for it).

When cold, the stator may function normally (for a time) but when hot, will function as you have described. Eventually it will fail altogether.

Let us know what you find.

Ceward

Recruit

Joe, would the power pack, timer base, or coils be responsible for the weak spark? A mechanic said these might be the case of weak or no spark.
Chris

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I would suspect the power pack.