1975 johnson 9.9 spits and sputters but won't start

Timmer31

Cadet
I have a 1975 9.9 seahorse. I tore the carb apart and cleaned it as it had been sitting for several years. It ran when I parked it. I'm thinking that I don't have the carb set right. I have compression spark and must be getting gas to the plugs. Does anyone know the adjustments for the carb or any other ideas on where to start.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1975 johnson 9.9 spits and sputters but won't start

That engine has a fixed high speed jet, no adjustment.
The static setting on the low speed needle is 1 1/4 turn out from lightly seated. You will have to do a fine adjustment with the engine in the water warmed up and in gear.

Timmer31

Cadet

What if you can't get it started

racerone

Supreme Mariner

When you pull the choke knob out have you verified that the choke actually closes.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Spray some fuel mix into the carb and see if it will fire- if it will fire and run maybe the fuel pump is shot? Have you pulled the fuel pump feed and verified it's pumping?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Pumping the primer bulb will bypass the fuel pump.
bktheking is correct, spray some fuel mixture into the carb, if it fires up you know you have a fuel problem. Most likely the carb itself.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How did you check your spark ?? If you did it with your plugs, that means nothing.

Timmer31

Cadet

How do you check your spark then and there is fuel on plugs

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Spark on a plug laying on the block is " fools gold "----It means very little.------Make something up that forces the spark to jump a gap of 5/16" or more.

Timmer31

Cadet

So I took screwdriver and put it in the end of the plug wire and got good spark
So what should I check now

Timmer31

Cadet

Ok I've determined that I have spark. What about the timing.

a70eliminator

Captain

Ok I've determined that I have spark. What about the timing.

I like to keep a can of eyther (starting fluid) handy just to make it go POW for troubleshooting purposes.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Timing is set by the points. You will need to remove the flywheel to set them correctly. To do that you will need a balanced harmonic puller and a big strap wrench to hold the flywheel in position when you remove and torque back down the flywheel nut.

Once the flywheel is removed, turn the center cam (with motor in gear you can turn that by turning the propeller) until a point's rub bar is on the SET position. Set the points gap to 0.020" for both points. There is a slot screw that is loosened and a notch on the outer end of the point to push on to change the gap. When the gap is set, tighten down the slot screw. When they are set correctly, take a clean white business card and dip it in lacquer thinner and pull it through each point and immediately blow them with compressed air. You cannot have any dirt or oils on them. Add a drop or two (no more) of motor oil on the cam wick and you are done. I think the flywheel is torqued back down at 45 ft/lbs but check your spec. to be sure.

The other timing issue is the carb's link and sync which sets your timing advance. You might want to check this first in case it is really out of alignment. It could be your problem. When you turn the throttle grip you will notice the throttle cam that comes around and pushes on the carburetors throttle roller. When that roller JUST touches the cam, the little arrow on that cam must be in the middle of the roller. If it is not, there are two 5/16" hex nuts on the starboard side, just under the flywheel that can be loosened to adjust the throttle cam. To loosen the nuts you will either need the flywheel off or a very thin 5/16" wrench.

Lastly, your start up procedure. On my 1975 9.9HP I completely ignore the info on the throttle grip, like where to set it when you start. The starting position for that motor is full on against the neutral stop. Anything less and you can pull till the cows come home, at times.

Last edited:

Timmer31

Cadet

So what your saying optsy is to put the throttle to full when I try to start it

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Yes. With the motor in neutral, it will come to the "neutral stop" (throttle limiter). It is pretty close to where the start point is anyways.

I have found that the little extra gas it gets from the "start" point to the "neutral stop" point (maybe a 1/8" more turn of the grip) can be the difference between starting right up and pulling till the cows come home to no avail.