99 Evinrude 225 Ficht starting issue

Woo

Recruit
Ok let me summarize I have searched the forum but haven't hit on my exact problem and I can't seem to find it anywhere on the 'Net
Motor will not start with the exception of a few random tries. Turn the key and you can hear (what I believe) is the injectors priming but no starter. What I have done Checked the battery (it is new but I checked anyway) pulled alll the battery connections and cleaned them as well as the ground wire to the base of the solenoid. Replaced the starter still no joy though I can jump the two posts of the solenoid and the starter will fire. took out the test light and then the multimeter and I have on the battery side of the solenoid about 13. V with the key turned over to the start position I get the same voltage at the yellow wire with red stripe attached to the post labeled "S" I am assuming this is the neutral safety switch Still nothing on the other side of the solenoid leading to the starter. There is a 4th wire attached to the post labeled "I" on the solenoid which gives me zero Volts in any key position. The problem I am having is that this wire upon leaving the solenoid immediately tucks into a well taped up bundle of wires that join the with another bundle of wire and I cannot locate where it terminates. . . So I am unsure what to check. Hoping someone can tell me something and avoid a costly trip to the local mechanic.

Thanks all

daselbee

Commander
Re: 99 Evinrude 225 Ficht starting issue

Where's your ground? Two small posts on the solenoid. One should be ground, with a black wire attached.
Someone had the starter solenoid off?
The yellow/red goes hot (to +12v) when the key is in the start position. Normal operation.
It is not the neutral safety switch, however the neutral safety switch does reside in that circuit, just up inside the control box, not at the engine.

Woo

Recruit

the solenoid has a plate as the base and the ground wire is attached to that. . . I should have said that this just cropped up last weekend and the motor had been starting fine up to that point. What is confusing is that while researching this I too have read that the 4th post is the ground connection but when I jump a ground wire to it no go

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If the PDP panel is original it likely to have went bad, this year to about 2002 was bad about this as solder joint break internally....

daselbee

Commander

Something's not right....I am going to get my manual and study the wiring diagram.
Way back in my memory, the ground is actually provided by the EMM, through the internal EMM circuitry....I think....
I will go check and post back this evening.

So, in the meantime, use your ohmmeter and measure the resistance of the solenoid post (where the yellow/red connects) to ground.

If you cannot make the solenoid pick by providing a jumper ground, with +12v on the yellow/red, then the solenoid is bad.

daselbee

Commander

Sorry Woo, will check for sure tomorrow.
Bumping this up.

daselbee

Commander

Fazt probably has it right....PDP related.
This is a complicated start circuit. Basically, there is a start delay relay that becomes "live" after the EMM reads the barometric pressure. The ground for THAT relay goes back to the EMM on J2 Pin3 AND it goes to the PDP large plug Pin C.
That Pin C goes to the stop/ignition relay on the PDP,

This is a complex circuit. You need a factory manual with color diagrams to debug this down to the exact problem.

There are at least 3 pages of charts, diagrams, operation descriptions....

Woo

Recruit

Thanks for the responses guys at least I have an idea of where to to look.