1985 60 hp Evinrude rough idle

Keitro

Cadet
Good Afternoon

I have a 1985 Evinrude 60 hp (E60TLCOD) that has woken up from a 10 year hibernation....Rebuilt carbs, switched over to a fuel pump vs. the VRO...The problem I?m having is it has a rough idle when the fast idle lever is down on the remote control?It idles fine with it half way up.....I have the idle adjustment screw at the motor set to its full throw and need a 1/4 inch more....Should I just put a longer screw in or should I be looking else where..

kax2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 60 hp Evinrude rough idle

Good Afternoon

I have a 1985 Evinrude 60 hp (E60TLCOD) that has woken up from a 10 year hibernation....Rebuilt carbs, switched over to a fuel pump vs. the VRO...The problem I?m having is it has a rough idle when the fast idle lever is down on the remote control?It idles fine with it half way up.....I have the idle adjustment screw at the motor set to its full throw and need a 1/4 inch more....Should I just put a longer screw in or should I be looking else where..

Start with a compression test then a link-n-sync per the manual for starters.

firemansam333

Recruit
Hi kietro did you sort this i have a 1984 evinrude 60 hp with same issue rebuilt fuel pump and stripped and cleaned carbs, it wont idle it will on muffs but not on water

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I'm of the belief that it's just the nature of the beast with these 60hp. I have been comletely through my 1983 60hp and it is probably the hardest starting engine I have ever owned when it is cold. It will fire right up but quickly stall out. Too much of the warm up throttle and it races. Too little and it stalls. Yet once warmed and running it will fire right up all day long and not even need to use the choke. This engine is running almost 150psi compression on both cylinders and is very responsive on the throttle. Though park it over night and the 1st start up of the day is the same event.

I also have a 1975 50hp that does not act this same way. It is very easy to start, even when cold.