Broken head bolt

95roadking

Cadet
Can I run my 90HP evinrude with 1 broken head bolt?? Went to retoqure them and 1st one broke off!!:mad::mad:

w2much

Lieutenant
Re: Broken head bolt

Yes you can run it. You can run it til you ruin it then get towed in. Fix it ,it's early in the season.

phillnjack2

Ensign

just one single headbolt missing can and will at sometime cause a major problem.
it seems that the head is sitting ok but it will not be.
it needs all the bolts to stay even when under pressure at the high temp it runs at.
if the makers could of got away with one less they certainly would of, hundreds of thousand of engines with just 1 less bolt would of saved them a fortune.

do like said above , fix it now before it becomes a major cost or destroyed motor.

phill

95roadking

Cadet

Guys going to try and get the stud out next week without pulling the head??

phillnjack2

Ensign

take out one of the other head bolts if possible and measure the length of bolt then measure how deep the hole is.
this way you can then drill right through the original bolt with very small drill bit then enlarge to take an easy out to extract it.
the deeper down the easy out goes the better chance of extracting the old bolt.

good luck and hope it goes well for you.

phill

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Don't use E-Z outs to get the bolt out!! If you break one of them off in the bolt you're really screwed. If you have to, keep on drilling on the bolt and then run a tap into it. A left handed drill bit really works good for this. I've got a set of them but threw my e-z outs away.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Guys going to try and get the stud out next week without pulling the head??
Id pull the head and then use vice grips. But you then run the risk of more breaking. I just dont have the ability to drill out headbolts so thats why i do it that way

kbait

Commander

Agree w/no EZout! They're nice when they work, but a total disaster if they break. Left handed bit is the way to go. That said, I'd try to loosen the other head bolts carefully, so you don't snap 'em. If they come out, remove the head and get the vice grips on the broken one.

good luck!