thermostat on 1981 johnson 70 hp

carlos bairo

Seaman Apprentice
my johnson 70 hp 1981 look's like that is no thermostat fit on.i am new on this engine meters , i open the housing and i find only tow spring's with plastic and rubber bushing's on. the water after 15 min of running motor still cold .could this will be good for the engine or the thermostat is missing and will be bead for the motor on the future?
need advice please thanks.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: thermostat on 1981 johnson 70 hp

Yes thermostat means much healthier running for the engine.
Maybe they removed it as engine had an overheating problem and they never sorted it out properly

carlos bairo

Seaman Apprentice

Yes thermostat means much healthier running for the engine.
Maybe they removed it as engine had an overheating problem and they never sorted it out properly

please i like to find out if the tow relive valve assembly on this model engine working with a thermostat too .i am confuse that the are no indications about this models on my outboard manual,(CLYMER). the only diagram of 3 cylinders power head are with one valve and a thermostat and seal. the model number of my engine is = J70TLCIM = year 1981

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to shop.evinrude.com. Look up your motor and look for cyl and c/c. You'll find all the parts you need there.

carlos bairo

Seaman Apprentice

Go to shop.evinrude.com. Look up your motor and look for cyl and c/c. You'll find all the parts you need there.

thanks .but the are no't refer's about power head with tow valve's and thermostat.like the manual from (CLYMER).on this shop list .it looks to my that is an old edition power head.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

try marine engine dot com,
not sure what you mean by tows valve and thermostat but its got the poppet valve and thermostat listed on there

carlos bairo

Seaman Apprentice

try marine engine dot com,
not sure what you mean by tows valve and thermostat but its got the poppet valve and thermostat listed on there

the part cover is vintage one.number 0317219.with 2 spring valve's .i find that in marine engine .com (vintage cover thermostat) thanks for your advice ,hope wee could help other;s with the some engine thermostat sistem.