Duel Line Fuel Tank - (Cont.)

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am just about there to getting my restored fuel tank and outboard fully functional and leak free.

I am able to continuously get fuel to the motor.

The only leak I am noticing on the fuel tank now is coming right out of the primer push button rod.

Fairly significant, but not gushing.

Am unsure if that is due to me restoring and putting in a new diaphragm gasket incorrectly, or because the push button rod itself is slightly bent.

Another issue I notice is that during operation, after I shut the motor down and release the pressure from the fuel cap, the tank "pops" back into place.

It seems to be concaving inwards, and then "boomp" , it flexes back into shape...

Is that normal?

0310141823.jpg

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Duel Line Fuel Tank - (Cont.)

No that's not normal. If the tank is concaving during use then it is not venting properly.

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do I vent it properly?

I was always under the assumption that it needed to be properly pressurized with no air escaping.

I do not know if there is even a vent on my tank???

Do I just not screw the cap on all the way and leave it on loose?

There is a slight hole on the tank cap, but am unsure if that is a vent or not???

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes the small whole is a breather vent and sounds like the siphon pressur is at a higher pressure than the breather letting new air in. That is what causes the concaving tank. Double check to see if anything is I restricting the airflow if not, slightly open up that breather

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Nonsense-------The tank is not vented at all.--------This tank is pressurized by the motor when it is running.------Not sure how it can flex inward , so have a good look at that again !!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Agreed, the tank is not vented. It is a pressure tank.

Now, about that leak....you have a sealing defect where the push rod goes through the diaphragm. The diaphragm support washers may be distorted or pitted. They should be flat around the center hole. And if pitted where it meets the push rod, it will leak. Likewise, the end of the push rod must be flat where it contacts the support washer. A dab of fuel-proof sealer there helps too.

Finally, the knob is supposed to spin freely on the push rod. If it doesn't, you tend to rotate it and the rod when pushing on it, which unscrews the nut on the bottom.

It is not normal for the tank to pop. I suspect the bottom is bent (??). It should have a slight outward bulge when not pressurized.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Pressure tanks cant breathe ? lol :)

As stated above, I would be with Frank on this, I think due to your rod being bent, and maybe the knob stiff, the diaphragm to rod connection is compromised.

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys.... Ill get back in there tonight and check the connection between the pump rod and diaphgram / fuel stem intake foot.

I have a new push rod on the way soon in case.

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also noticed that the "button" on the top of the push rod, does NOT rotate freely... it feels like it is fixed to the rod itself...

There is actually a little pin that seems to be holding the two together.

And from this angle, you can really see how crooked the rod is. The actual bend itself is about an inch down from this view.

0426141252.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Believe me, I know what I'm saying. The knob should rotate freely. Yours is stuck. There is a circular groove around the end of the push rod, the cotter pin goes in the groove, not THROUGH the rod. That allows it to rotate (for the reason I pointed out)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Tony did you find a rod or do you still need mine.

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, Chris... Sorry... was trying to reply to two threads in my head. You and Frank.

I will replace that, double check my diaphragm connection and take another run at this.

Its getting close.

I couldn't have got this far without all of your guys help.

Forever gratuitous .

Tony did you find a rod or do you still need mine.

Last edited: