Can I add battery charging to my 1985 25hp Johnson without adding electric start?

zlenart

Recruit
I was thinking about adding electric start to my engine it's a 1985ish 25hp Johnson but when I starting looking in to it all I found were kits for about 375$ that did not include battery charging which is really the only reason I want it. So can I add the battery charging function without adding the electric start to save money?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Can I add battery charging to my 1985 25hp Johnson without adding electric start?

I suppose so,
You will need to find a stator which includes charge coils for a battery and a regulator/rectifier (regulator/rectifier is the easy part)

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Can I add battery charging to my 1985 25hp Johnson without adding electric start?

Looks like you can just add the charge coils on to that motors plate

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1985 Battery Charging kit is (was) part number 174037. NLA. To see what it contains, go to Evinrude click on "parts" then select "OB Accessories" from the drop-down list where it defaults to Evinrude. Select year, then item.

EDIT: I'm surprised, I thought you would need a flywheel, but it seems not.

zlenart

Recruit

Awesome! Thanks this way I could add the battery charging parts and slowly get a hold of the other electric start components as I have money

zlenart

Recruit

I can't seem to find the right part kit on that site though I went to parts selected Johnson and the year,hp, etc but nothing is labeled battery charging kit and I can't find a place to type in a part number

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I can't seem to find the right part kit on that site though I went to parts selected Johnson and the year,hp, etc but nothing is labeled battery charging kit and I can't find a place to type in a part number

Pull the flywheel and see what you have under there first. Then order the charge coil that you dont have. ANd the rectifier
You can look your motor up on marine engine dot com to find the schematic of parts to find the one you dont have.
I wish this site had the schematics

zlenart

Recruit

Ok so I just need the charge coil, rectifier, and battery cables? and is there a way to get the flywheel off without a flywheel puller?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No. You need the correct puller.

Thornes1

Cadet
I just completed updating my 1985 evinrude to electric start. So easy. I bought a parts motor for everything, however the rectifier is toast. To get the flywheel off I bought a flywheel puller via a harmonic ballance puller. Use hardened 1/4 bolts coarse thread. Don't use the three fingered puller u will wreck the flywheel. They pop right off with correct tool and technique