72 Evinrude 18hp new head gasket installed but leaking. :( HELP!

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey everyone. This is a 7 second video. I got the new head gasket installed and everything torqued to specs. Started up and is running great except this water spitting out the top of head. WTH!? I ran it in driveway for a while and got it warmed up and retorqued the bolts. Still leaking. Someone please tell me that will seal up in time. There is a little tiny "nick" in the block right there where it's leaking. I've never had this problem before, and that "nick" has had to have been there for years cause there was a little indent in the old head gasket at that spot, so I know I didn't do it. This is not the original head though. I got a different one cause I stripped one of the spark plug holes in the old one. Could that make the difference? Maybe I should put helicoil in old one and put it back on. If I do that do I need to buy another brand new head gasket? Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 Evinrude 18hp new head gasket installed but leaking. :( HELP!

Fact ---all outboard cylinder heads warp------Did you make sure that the replacement head was flat ?

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I checked it and sanded it flat on a piece of glass the best I could. I just ran it again and it seems to be better. It's not shooting out like in the video, just kinda seeping. Is that going to be ok? Maybe the head gasket sealant will seal it up eventually. Do I have to really get it on the lake and run it to get it hot enough to retorque the bolts, or can I do it in the driveway? Maybe I should retorque them in morning after it cools completely. Thanks

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did just put helicoil in old head in case I need to change heads out again.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

image.jpg. Just emptied out all the water from tub I was running it in. Wow!! Holy oil! The water was filled with oil and this picture is of the motor after coming out of it. What's that all about?

nwcove

Admiral

very normal for barrel running. you say there are helicoils in the head?? do you mean block?

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

photo 2 (1).JPGphoto 1 (1).JPG

Well, it's ruined!!!! I'm sooooo mad! I've spent so much time on this thing. I finally had it just about done and running good. See that little dimple in the middle of the picture? That's the bottom of the exhaust housing. One of the bolts holding on the lower unit actuially pressed up through and made a pin hole in the housing. I'm screwed! Unless there's some way to seal that hole up, I'll need a whole new exhaust housing. UGH!! I think I'm done! What a waste!

kfa4303

Banned

White. I posted in you other thread too, but you should be fine. However, before you do anything else to the motor. Go to youtube and watch a few vids of motors like yours in action so you'll know what to expect. That way you won't be alarmed by the oil etc... These vintage 2-strokes are relatlively loud, oily and smokey compared to modern 4-strokes, but they're much lighter weight and have lots of low end torque. All part of the "charm". You either love it, or you don't. Just like old cars, as long as your motor is leaking oil in the right places, all is well.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

YUK, YUK--------Many outboard motor owners do not need a health club membership----------They are always jumping to conclusions.-----------So I do not think the percieved problems are as bad as you think they are !!